• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Avast or Avira better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your gonna hear good and bad for both. I think you're gonna hear more people voting for Avira. I used both before and I would vote Avira, but I'm using MSE currently.

I would like to know....:comp:

Edward,

I agree with Sean. I also use both, neither one has missed anything that the other hasn't. Avira uses less resources but actually you don't know how good your AV program is until you need it. Both run seamlessy with easy updates and scheduling.

Personally I like Avira better for no particular technical reason. Be advised that Avira free doesn't do email, only the paid version does.

Edit:

Sorry, I'm using AVG, not Avast but I'll leave my comparison above alone FYI.

Im using the free home version of Avast on both of my computers and i install it on all my friends computers when they need an AV and i have yet to get a virus on any of computers and none of my friends have any complaints.I personally like Avast and have been using it for a little over 2 years without a problem.

I was going to post a similar thread but this one was on top so...

I'm looking for a free AV that in particular has good realtime scanning and doesn't get bogged down on a slow HD and has Win 7 compatability. Are Avast and Avira generally the top atm? The other one I see recommended a lot is AVG.

I used to use AVG. got really bloated and scan times were pretty slow. My second choice would be Avira, but lately switched to MSE and it's been running really smooth and seems pretty quick. Others have posted problems but smooth sailing for me so far on Win 7 Pro.

I'd stay away from AVG. It's detection rates are lackluster, and last time I used it, it had some irritating update behavior. I've never used Avast, but it's seems alright. It's detection rates are bit lower than Avira, but I think it comes down to which annoyance you prefer; registering for Avast, or dealing with an update popup from Avira. The popup can be disabled, but it doesn't bother me. I haven't bothered fooling with it on this machine.

I had some problems with MSE, and uninstalled it after a week. Early reports have indicated good detection rates, but avcomparatives hasn't released detection rates for it yet. It has a simple interface, perhaps a bit too simple for my tastes, and is intuitive to use. I found memory use to be high, and it crashed Explorer when trying to run VLC setup. I also had some web slowdown, but I didn't test it, so I can't blame MSE. It could have just been coincidence.

I'd stay away from AVG. It's detection rates are lackluster, and last time I used it, it had some irritating update behavior. I've never used Avast, but it's seems alright. It's detection rates are bit lower than Avira, but I think it comes down to which annoyance you prefer; registering for Avast, or dealing with an update popup from Avira. The popup can be disabled, but it doesn't bother me. I haven't bothered fooling with it on this machine.

I had some problems with MSE, and uninstalled it after a week. Early reports have indicated good detection rates, but avcomparatives hasn't released detection rates for it yet. It has a simple interface, perhaps a bit too simple for my tastes, and is intuitive to use. I found memory use to be high, and it crashed Explorer when trying to run VLC setup. I also had some web slowdown, but I didn't test it, so I can't blame MSE. It could have just been coincidence.

Johnz,

I think they are all very good depending on personal choices, setup and cosmetics. I do use Avast on an old Dell P3 Windows Me and it runs fine there and that's saying a lot when it co-operates with ME! :)

The Avira pop-up (XP Pro 32) is a non-issue. Pops up once on bootup plus an occasional "reminder" with updates and that's the end of it. However I run them all in conjunction with Malwarebytes and to a lesser extent with Spybot S & D. AVG (Vista 64) does have a small pop-up for system coverage / update information but considering it's also free, the are entitled to that like Avira.

Back