• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to upgrade from Win XP to Win7... without any clean installs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
I have a friend that now lives a few states away from me. She picked up windows 7 at the store the other day, and attempted to install it... she's lost, and for the life of me i can't teach her how to install windows... so we're doing it remotely with as little interaction from her as possible (since she doesn't know squat about computers). :rain:

So right now i'm copying vista from my computer to hers (1 hour left on that) and then i'll start up the install. It's set up to where it shoudl just have to run and it'll fill in all the blanks on it's own. Then (with any luck at all) when Windows Vista starts up, Teamviewer will start with it and run so that i can start the windows 7 install from here and then she'll fill in all those blanks (since she actually knows how).

The reason that we're doing this is because she can't figure out how to get into the BIOS (it's an oldish dell... no surprise there), so i figured i'd do what i could.

Anyway, is there a better way to go about this? Or is this about the only way i can install Windows on a computer 3 states away with now user interaction on their end?

It's usually F2 to get into the BIOS for Dell's. F12 is the temporary boot device selection.
Maybe she could try that before doing the upgrade solution?

It's usually F2 to get into the BIOS for Dell's. F12 is the temporary boot device selection.
Maybe she could try that before doing the upgrade solution?

Yay!!!

You just saved me a ton of trouble, and a ton of bandwidth :D

She has Win7 and is a happy camper :D I'd pay you if i had the money lol

Back