• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case fans and their wiring.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foolios

Hello,
I want to add a toggle switch for a case fan I have at the top. It's a 12v fan which I think most all of the case fans are.

The other case fans have only a red and black wire. That must mean they are 5v fans right?

But this extra case fan I haven't put in yet, it's an LED one and it is 12V as its stated. But what baffles me is that it has 3 wires. One black, yellow, and one red. It states that the red is pos, black, neg, and yellow is F.G. Yellow. I don't know what that means. What is F.G. yellow? I assumed it would be the 12v positive because the molex's yellow wiring is 12v.

Funny thing is I have another fan I found, not LED and it also has three wire, but they are red, black, and white.

How do I wire these up?

THanks in advance!

Most case fans are 12V. Usually red wire is positive (12v) and black is negative (0v). The extra yellow/white/blue wire is a sensor for RPM.

Awesome, so I don't need to hook up the third wire. I can just tape it up and put it out of the way.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back