• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Making the Most of Media Centre Remotes: Installation and Custom Mapping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
Making the Most of Media Centre Remotes: Installation and Custom Mapping
by Stratus

Have you ever wanted to get more out of your remote in Linux? I sure did. I spend a lot of time setting up and programming for media centres. One thing that I have found with Linux is that many of the remotes that are “obsolete” in Windows Vista/7 actually are still well supported in Linux. This makes it easy to get great remotes cheaply.

With enough work, you can make that remote do whatever it is you want, be it run a script or launch a program. This guide is constructed around Mythbuntu, but the principles are the same regardless of your distribution. How you install and control lirc may change slightly but the irexec coding stays the same..

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
sno.lcn

Back