• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3d vision. - Work with one eye?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

;)i am blind in one eye, but can see perfectly from the other ( firework accident)

will the nvidia 3dvision still work for me if i have the glasses and a 120hz monitor etc?

thanks

;)i am blind in one eye, but can see perfectly from the other ( firework accident)

will the nvidia 3dvision still work for me if i have the glasses and a 120hz monitor etc?

thanks

Stereoscopic 3d relies on having two eyes, so no 3d solution will work for you :cool:

Stereoscopic 3d relies on having two eyes, so no stereoscopic solution will work for you :cool:

I've seen videos/articles on other types of 3d "screens". Still [very] developmental, but I don't doubt that *some day* these will exist.

I've seen videos/articles on other types of 3d "screens". Still [very] developmental, but I don't doubt that *some day* these will exist.

Of course, people with one eye won't be able to see the 3d effect..

noooooooooooooooooooooo ah well i just hope 3dvision dosent become mainsteam anytime sooon :(

Nope.. With only one eye, you'll never see anything in 3d, not even the real world.

I'm sorry mate but no matter what you do you'll never be able to view an image in 3d =(
No depth perception means no luck in the 3d world =(

Also unless you're a hardcore game enthusiast it's not worth it... I loved the 3d vision for a few months but gaming isn't where my heart lies so it felt more like a hassle than anything else. Of coarse if you're a hardcore gamer then =( =( =(

3d is more than just stereoscopic vision. your brain can piece together 3d information from other things beyond stereo vision (for example you aren't completely clueless to the depth of things when watching a normal tv). That said, all the "3d" tech about now is stereo vision which you do need 2 eyes for. and don't wish for it to go away please :( some of us with two (although not very good at all) eyes still want it.

For all of you who only have one eye (like me). The following is from an optical engineer who i am sure knows more about the specific subject:

"One of the major mechanisms for 3d vision is what is known as parallax. Parallax is the effect that objects near you move faster than objects far away when you move your head, such as when you are driving along a road the mountain in the distance seems not to move at all whereas the rock next to the road moves extremely quickly. This effect is what dominates 3d vision on distant objects (i.e. objects that appear essentially identical to the two perspectives of your eyes). When you view something that is say 30-50 feet away from you, both eyes are seeing effectively the same image but you can still tell the difference from that object and one that is 100 feet away due to parallax. Perspective also comes into play here, meaning that the farther away objects are the "smaller" they appear, and your mind has learned the generic relative sizes of certain objects (mountains are larger than trees) and that comes into play as well, which allows you to see some 3d perspective in 2d still images.
If you were to remove your stereoscopic vision (by covering one eye for example) you would remove your mind's ability to discern if it was 3d or not by the double perspective. Depending on how your individual mind has been trained over the years (if you had bad eyesight growing up and didn't have it corrected for a long time parallax would be more dominant than stereoscopic vision for example) you may experience something that appears to look like more "real" 3d than if your brain had the full information. With only 1 eye, a painting of a scene would appear to be the same as window out to the actual scene, assuming it was a distance away and your brain would ignore the focus effect as a result."

For all of you who only have one eye (like me). The following is from an optical engineer who i am sure knows more about the specific subject:

"One of the major mechanisms for 3d vision is what is known as parallax. Parallax is the effect that objects near you move faster than objects far away when you move your head, such as when you are driving along a road the mountain in the distance seems not to move at all whereas the rock next to the road moves extremely quickly. This effect is what dominates 3d vision on distant objects (i.e. objects that appear essentially identical to the two perspectives of your eyes). When you view something that is say 30-50 feet away from you, both eyes are seeing effectively the same image but you can still tell the difference from that object and one that is 100 feet away due to parallax. Perspective also comes into play here, meaning that the farther away objects are the "smaller" they appear, and your mind has learned the generic relative sizes of certain objects (mountains are larger than trees) and that comes into play as well, which allows you to see some 3d perspective in 2d still images.
If you were to remove your stereoscopic vision (by covering one eye for example) you would remove your mind's ability to discern if it was 3d or not by the double perspective. Depending on how your individual mind has been trained over the years (if you had bad eyesight growing up and didn't have it corrected for a long time parallax would be more dominant than stereoscopic vision for example) you may experience something that appears to look like more "real" 3d than if your brain had the full information. With only 1 eye, a painting of a scene would appear to be the same as window out to the actual scene, assuming it was a distance away and your brain would ignore the focus effect as a result."

Yes there are several things that can depict 3d such as one object over the other, and parallax which u explained, but another thing that determines depth is how our eyes focus on a object, for example the closer an object is to our eyes the more we have to cross our eyes. With stereoscopic 3d vision it combines everything giving quite a unique experience to gaming. When they want something to appear far away they space the 2 perspectives (2 images) far apart so that your brain will be tricked into thinking it is far away. As for the blood that is on your face in L4D it is not spaced apart at all therefore making it appear as if its right on your face compared to the distant zombies. so in order for 3d vision to work your eyes needs to see each a different a perspective.

Very cool post, that explains some things about my 3d eyesight too, i needed glasses by 8 or 9 but didn't get 'em till 14 or 15, i've always seemed to have less of an issue with distances with one eye.

The paralax type 3d should work fine in video games, it's the only way to till in non-stereo-3d games.

I haven't found a stereo 3d game that doesn't give me nasty headaches yet, they give you viewpoints that are a foot or more apart to make it look super 3d, but your brain is only used to the normal 2-3 inches. I hate 'em, personally.

hey guys its not the end of the world, didnt they just give that guy in england sight with his tooth? all be it friggin creepy looking, theres hope in the near future i bet :)

Sorry for having to say this but unless you, once could see with both eyes (my case), and then lost eyesight in one of the two(my case again) then you dont really know what u r talking about. U r just assuming things (ie u r bull****ting us).

Sorry for having to say this but unless you, once could see with both eyes (my case), and then lost eyesight in one of the two(my case again) then you dont really know what u r talking about. U r just assuming things (ie u r bull****ting us).

i could seen on both eyes...it was only a few months back i lost my sight in one eye at age 16.

Back