• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics Card Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jacquel

Registered
Hey guys, quick question. I am looking to buy a new FX card, and my rig is simply used for gaming, would it be worth it to buy either of these two cards with my current system setup or just a waste of money as the rest of the rig will just slow it down?

LINKS FIXED
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150439

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127445

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.090804-1456)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
System Model: EX505AA-ABA m7560n
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00P
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 475MB used, 3462MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Last edited:
Neither link works

What res do you game at, i think most any new card you will be moire CPU bound then anything around 1680 + res.

and for your sig, it isnt actually 2 CPU's, it is dual core.

Neither link works

What res do you game at, i think most any new card you will be moire CPU bound then anything around 1680 + res.

Oh, that isn't my sig, it is my DxDiag that I posted to show what my rig consists of.

I have a 19in wide screen so I game at 1680x1050

Oh and I have fixed the links.

The GTS250 would be a decent match for your system. It'll probably be a little bit choked by the CPU at 1680x1050, but that's not really a problem.

Think of it this way... your CPU will only allow a game to hit a certain FPS. A lower-end card may be able to achieve that maximum speed, but this card could achieve the same speed and allow you to use higher quality settings without losing any performance.

Now, I wouldn't get anything higher-end than the GTS250, since you'll get to the point of diminishing returns pretty quickly.

Neither link works

I thought it was 2 CPU's on a die, which was the reason for being a dual core : \

Back