• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost memory performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

closeracing

Registered
I recently installed a 2nd video card and have noticed a big drop in memory performance in windows experience index in windows 7. I know it's not the most accurate benchmark but the memory scores were always 7.3 and now they are consistantly 5.9. I am using a 650w psu and suspect this to be the problem, what do you guys think?

Welcome!

Windows experience index is absolute crap to base anything off of man. Dont let that number dictate anything to you about performance, ever. ;)

What brand PSU and what two videocards? System specs would be helpful!

Sorry,here are the specs. AMD phenomII 965 black edition,
asus M4A78T-E 4gb patriot pc1600 ddr3 65gb patriot ssd primary, 1tb sata seagate for video, 1 500gb sata gb seagate back up, drivers etc 2 ATI radeon 4890 in crossfire, corsair h2 50 liquid cooling

Did I miss the PSU brand?? What aIm getting at is a 650W PSU of a known quality brand should be fine to power that system. However if its a crap brand, you may be hurting there.

Did I miss the PSU brand?? What aIm getting at is a 650W PSU of a known quality brand should be fine to power that system. However if its a crap brand, you may be hurting there.

I suspect the psu. the brand is ultra, Windows is also showing mu memory as 4gb with 3.5 gb useable. I think I'll try a more powerful psu.
Thanks, Derek

If you are going to get a PSU make sure you get a good brand. Corsair have some of the best PSU's out there. The 750W should power that system nicely and have room to spare. PSU's are one of the items that you definitely should not go cheap on.

Also, make sure that the onboard graphics is disabled so that some of your ram is not being used as shared graphics memory.

WTH I know I posted in this thread last night...

The drop in WEI was actually useful!

The reason it occurred is you are running a 32 bit OS (as denoted by it showing less than 4GB) with 4GB of RAM and 2 1GB video cards. Something is definitely wrong though since even with one 4890 you should be showing less available ram than you are.

If you are running Vista or Windows 7 it is time to make the jump to 64 bit.

Back