• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Dominator fan module horrid noise on startup!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grishenko45

hi all.

ive had my dominator fan module for about 3 months now - and recently its been making this horrid noise on startup for about 1 minute then it warms up and becomes silent as it should be!!!!

it this because the fans are quite cold? my room's pretty cold when i'm not in all day!

any of you had this???

they don't make any noise after the 1st minute of power - they are silent for however long i leave the rig on.

thoughts??

hi all.

ive had my dominator fan module for about 3 months now - and recently its been making this horrid noise on startup for about 1 minute then it warms up and becomes silent as it should be!!!!

it this because the fans are quite cold? my room's pretty cold when i'm not in all day!

any of you had this???

they don't make any noise after the 1st minute of power - they are silent for however long i leave the rig on.

thoughts??

I can't answer your question, but may I suggest that you go over to the Corsair forums and post your question there. They might tell you to RMA the unit.

x509

If RMA is not an option, try if its possible to peel off the front label at the fan, and look for the shaft opening at the middle, if its bearing type, a single drop of lubricant might cure that problem.

If purchased new, it should have a 3-year warranty, according to the product page under Specs.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16835704001&ref=dynamitedata.com

I would contact Corsair and see if they won't replace it for you. If it should run quietly, then it should do so from the get-go, not after a minute of howling first.

It appears, based on the first customer review, that you aren't the only one to experience this noise, especially when cold.

I have 2 of them. 1st one started making that racket also. Found out it was one of the fans. I peeled off the sticker behind the fan and removed the little rubber cover in the center. A few drops of 3in1 oil and the noise is gone. You can also use sewing machine oil or the oil that comes with hair clippers. Both work really well.

hi all.

any of you had this???

thoughts??

Fans with sleeve bearings very often start like you describe before they die, but it still can last quite a while

My dominator fans are also doing this same thing. Its simply a lack of oil in the fans themselves, the above mentioned oiling should quiet them down. All you gotta do to find which fan is when they first startup and make the noise, stop each fan with your finger (be careful of the spinning blades!) and when you stop the noise, you got your culprit. After that its just a matter of pulling the plug and lubing it up.

Mine was a pos also
I replacedmit with 2 80mm rosewill white led fans and it's now 20c difference
all those coolers are garbage I ziptied the fans on mine

hi all.

any of you had this???

thoughts??

Cheap fans do that, the stock amd coolers are legendary for it. They shake and vibrate till they finally balance and then there fine.

I'd tell corsair there going to give you an RMA # for it.

Mine was a pos also
I replacedmit with 2 80mm rosewill white led fans and it's now 20c difference
all those coolers are garbage I ziptied the fans on mine

Ekko,

Did you also have a Corsair fan setup for Dominator memory? Did you replace the fans in that Corsair "frame" or simply install two 80 mm Rosewill fans?

What is the "before?" I'm trying to understand how you got to an 20c difference. Thanks.:p

I didn't know you could read mem temps. ?????

The only way that I know of is with a temp probe.

To the OP, I would recommend shooting a PM over to Yellowbeard XMS. He is the Official Corsair Support guy here on OCF. I haven't really worked with him much, but he was good about getting back to my PM's when I had to send them.

Back