• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brgatesjr

Registered
I was thinking of modifing my current water cooling pelt setup to add a heatsink and fan to sit on top of the slot I style waterblock. Right now It goes coldplate/pelt/block. If I have one of those copper HSF with the heatpipe just sitting there and wondered if I threw it on top of the setup probably with the fan sucking away would it help? Any ideas before I waste my time would be great.
Thanks,
B

It would depend on the placement of your radiator. If it's in the front of the case, then yes, it would help. If it's in the back blowing out, then you may not get much if any decrease in temps. Either way it's good for redundancy.

I don't think it is needed. One of the reasons we use water cooling in the first place is because air alone is not up to the task. I think your money would be better spent imroving your existing water cooled setup. If your water temp is a little high maybe a better rad, a fan of higher cfm fan ,or 2 fans on the rad instead of one side by side or push/pull. What water block are you running? What pelt/pelts? If you want to improve your cooling I would look at what can be done to increase the efficiency of your water system.

Thanks for the fast response. My rader is one of those cooler cube deals with the copper piping throughout. It sits outside my PC with a 250gpm pump and 1.5g res. I have only one 120m fan blowing air through the rad. I actually have a small heater core outside the PC also. So the res pumps through the cube to the CPU's (dual PIII 1.1E's @1409. With DD Maze I blocks and 80w pelts. I have 3 case fans. two 80cm's blowing in and 1 120cm blowing out. The ambient room temp is 22c. At idle my cpu temps are about 2C but under load the temps go upto 27c with case temps of 25.5c. I am not sure what the water temp is but it feels pretty warm. Any ways to reduce the delta between idle and load temps would be great!!!
Thanks,
Bruce

There are a couple of things you can try. First you said that the water feels warm. Check it with a thermometer. Put a second fan on the cube, those radiators need 2 fans in a push/pull in order to be really effective. I have one of the cubes myself. You can also try adding a fan to the heater core.

Your idle temp is nice but under load it goes as high as what you could do with good air cooling. I suspect that a 80w tec may not be enough to handel the heat of your chips @ over 1400mhz.

I dont know how much heat your chips put out, lately I have been working with AMD's. But several years ago I used 80w tecs on 366 Celerons you are more then a gig over that.

Back