• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any experience with running windows 7 on older hardware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

I'm looking into running windows 7 on a 2 ghz pentium M with 1 gb of ram and a geforce fx go1000, which I think only supports direct X 8, not entirely certain. So yea, wondering what the experience is with running is with running windows 7 on older hardware. Does it work? does it run slow? is it's footprint only moderately larger than XP?

Many thanks for the help.

and Happy Thanksgiving

-Mike

It should work but may not be very fast... the minimum requirement is 1gb ram and uses alot more then xp.

My daughter has it on her P4-3.06, with 1gb ram, and a GF6800. It runs pretty well. I also have a 2gb CF drive she's using for ReadyBoost, and that seemed to make a noticeable improvement.

It should run fine... I have win 7 running in a VM with 512MB RAM and only 1 core, runs quite OK. It's not gonna win any speed records but it seems much less demanding than Vista was.

WinXP will run pretty fast on a P3 and you can get it down to under 500 megs on the install. :clap:

I wonder if W7 can come close to that?

Back