• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weakest link

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

Trying to figure out what my weakest link in my system is. I am in need a of new screen as I play on my TV which is 1080i, but for some reason when I put it into the 1080 rez (the numbers escape me at the moment) it's all weird. So at the moment I play everything at 1280x720. Which is a low rez. Everything plays awesome exp for Crysis. (surprise right?) Crysis is on very high with mods that improve graphic and I ave around low 40's but it still drops into the 20's at crazy fights. So I asking where my next upgrade should come? I for one think its my video card, but would be open to other ideas. I'v ordered windows 7 as I want to be able to use more than 3 gigs of ram. (XP was just so hard to let go of...)

might be the ram 2gb might not be enough for crysis on high details.

btw you can use 3gb of ram also in xp windows 7 won't be able to use more ram unless you for 64bit (128 gb ram max)

as for the resolution i have no idea about that, but if someone manages to find a fix for you just keep in mind that crysis at that res will run much slower.

like 20-25 fps in bad conditions (at least i can't play at that fps)

EDIT: it's not your cpu nor the GPU from what i see from your sig. try to play the game in DX9 and you will be able to play at decent fps (and you will miss all those fancy effects that consume a lot of power from dx10 but honestly i wouldn't care too much)

My 260 @ 625MHz core can only manage 25-30fps (lowest is at about 24) and I'm using realsis, some particle mod and an AI mod to make them a lot more aggressive. Your fps doesn't sound lower than I would expect. A friend popped his 285 into my computer and I couldn't get more than 23 minimum with everything maxed out (including AA & AF)

If you want to improve your performance of Crysis then a new GPU is really the way to go (the most RAM I've gotten crysis to use is at about 1.8GB so as long as you close all other programs down and continue running XP it should be just on the limit)

So upgrade your GPU next followed by your RAM (but since RAM is dirt cheap anyway you might as well go for them both at the same time)

might be the ram 2gb might not be enough for crysis on high details.

btw you can use 3gb of ram also in xp windows 7 won't be able to use more ram unless you for 64bit (128 gb ram max)

as for the resolution i have no idea about that, but if someone manages to find a fix for you just keep in mind that crysis at that res will run much slower.

like 20-25 fps in bad conditions (at least i can't play at that fps)

EDIT: it's not your cpu nor the GPU from what i see from your sig. try to play the game in DX9 and you will be able to play at decent fps (and you will miss all those fancy effects that consume a lot of power from dx10 but honestly i wouldn't care too much)

First, I ordered the 64bit Win 7 pro so I know its the 64 bit thing. I just have 32 bit xp. Yea, for a short time I had two screens hooked up and I was in a 2k+ rez and its ran really well, which suprised me. And less then 30FPS (even if the map is getting ripped apart) drives me crazy. So i want to fix it. I guess I will start with the ram once Win7 gets here.

When you say crysis runs slower at that rez, what do you mean? I will actually get better FPS is I run the game higher?

When you say crysis runs slower at that rez, what do you mean? I will actually get better FPS is I run the game higher?

slower means worse, the more the resolution the less the fps

(mmm looks like a bad written sentence in english . . . but i might have translated it good =) )

Back