• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help building a gaming pc - $900 budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

I want to build a gaming rig and was wondering if I could get some recommendations on components since I've been out of the loop for a while.

Here's an overview of my requirements:

- ~$900 budget
- Dual booting Windows 7 (gaming) and Ubuntu (work - need to be able to run multiple virtual machines of windows)
- I have a 1920x1200 resolution monitor
- Want to play Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age, etc.
- Already have monitor/mouse/kb
- No overclocking

Last edited:
Here's an i5 setup to look at:

$70 - Antec 300 Illusion
$200 - Intel i5-750
$140 - GA-P55-UD3R
$75 - WD Caviar Black 640GB
$90 - Corsair CMPSU-650TX
$80 - G.Skill Ripjaw 2x2GB DDR3-1600
$30 - CD/DVD Burner
$195 - ATI HD4890
or
$165 - ATI HD5770

Comes out to around $850-880.

Is there any real performance to be gained from an i5/7 for gaming? Or would I be better off saving some money and getting a C2D?

If you're on a budget, I'd go with an AMD so you can splurge on a nice GPU later, but I think that first Intel build looks pretty good..

Is there any real performance to be gained from an i5/7 for gaming? Or would I be better off saving some money and getting a C2D?

For gaming there won't really be a difference unless you use 3xGPUs. The problem with C2D/Q is that there will be no more CPUs made on LGA775. So, the i5/i7 is more future proof.

If you want a C2D/Q build that's fine, and it will still be good for a while. But when you do feel the need to upgrade you'll need to buy CPU/Mobo/RAM again.

We can list some C2D/Q stuff if you'd like.

EDIT:
$165 - Intel E8400
$230 - Intel Q9550
$91 - G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2-1066
$130 - GA-EP45-UD3P

$390 for C2D CPU/Mobo/RAM.
$455 for C2Q CPU/Mobo/RAM.
$420 for i5 CPU/Mobo/RAM.

Last edited:
Or the AMD Solution.

CASE: Antec Nine Hundred - 60$ (with 40$ MIR)
CPU: 965 Black Edition Deneb - 186$
MB: GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - 100$ (With 15$ MIR)
RAM: G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1333 - 95$
HS: XIGMATEK Dark Knight - 40$
GPU: Radeon HD 5770 - 180$
PSU: CORSAIR 750W - 88$ (With 20$ MIR)
HDD: Seagate 1TB - 90$
DVD: Samsung DVD Burner - 32$

871$ With MIR Without Shipping
946$ Without MIR Without Shipping

Thats a top of the line system, it will slash its way through anything you throw at it.

Marluce, that is a great setup! The only other suggestion I could make to maybe save a couple dollars to go with a Phenom II 955 Black Edition. Just my $0.02 :D To Pollux, if your budget is $900, I'd definitely spring for that. That system should overclock fairly well and should provide an overall enjoyable experience. Plus, you can always throw in an extra 5770 down the line for some cross fire action if you want.

Last edited:
I'm a little wary of ATI for the video card due to needing it for Ubuntu. Honestly, I haven't been keeping up with ATI, but Nvidia has always had excellent linux driver support. Has this changed?

The OP says clearly 'no overclocking' so there's absolutely no need for an aftermarket heatsink. Also, I don't see any of those builds including Windows. OP, do you already own a retail version of W7 you'll be tranferring over to the new computer?

+1 to the 955.. no need to get the extra factory OC into it.. even if OP wanted to OC it to the 965 specs they could do so on stock cooling..save the few extra in case the OS needs to be purchased.. though thats a solid build by far.. waiting for christmas to be over so I can purchase something in the 900 ballpark myself!

Back