• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VMWare Player 3.0 + 3.4Ghz AMD Phenom II: More PPD than Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingless

Are any of you folding on a Phenom II Windows machine using Linux virtualization? I have a Phenom II [email protected], 8GB DDR2-800, and Vista x64 Ultimate. Will I turn SMP WUs faster with OpenSUSE or Ubuntu under Player 3.0? If so I will make this change IMMEDIATELY!

Why use SUSE or Ubuntu as your folding distro? Last time I used VMPlayer, it had a very streamlined Slackware OS that was hand picked for folding.

Is that Slackware kernel not available now?

That was my confusion - I never used VMPlayer for anything *but* Notfred's, To me they were one and the same.

It's Notfred's that uses a customized version of Slackware.

My VMWare Player is up and running with OpenSUSE 11.1. Frames took 15 minutes under windows and now they only take 7! I'm simply stunned at the performance. Why the hell is Windows Vista so much slower?

Also I have a problem. My GPU2 client in Windows dropped from 3500ppd to 1000ppd. Now I did enable 3D support in VMWare, but I'm not running any 3D in it. Can I fix this without recreating the VM?

EDIT: I disabled 3D for the virtual machine. I'm still having low PPD issues/low GPU utilization. I'm hovering around 90% usage instead of 99%.

Last edited:
If you power off the VM your GPU2 client should top off again, What you probably need to do is add

priority.ungrabbed= "idle"

to the VM, just open the biggest file in the VM folder and edit it with notepad.

Then keep the VM minimized.

Also, run through config on your GPU2 client again and answer "low" to cpu priority.

Thanks ChasR for teaching me this.

If you power off the VM your GPU2 client should top off again, What you probably need to do is add

priority.ungrabbed= "idle"

to the VM, just open the biggest file in the VM folder and edit it with notepad.

Then keep the VM minimized.

Also, run through config on your GPU2 client again and answer "low" to cpu priority.

Thanks ChasR for teaching me this.

That would be the *.vmx file.;)

Back