• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best cooler for roughly $35?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Hi, guys. Second post here :D

I need a decent air cooler (as in better than stock) for my i7 920. I'd like to hit 4ghz if possible, but if i had to settle for 3.6 or 3.8 that would be fine. Just something that'll keep my cpu from melting down would be nice.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm needing something that's no more than $35 shipped... so i'm tight on money.. i did see this and this floating around on newegg... anyone have one and think it would do what i need?

Well, if you plan to overclock with i7, Id suggest saving a bit more and getting a quality cooler. A freezer pro isnt going to cut it whatsoever.

I say Xigmatek HDT-s1283, get the Dark Knight version though. It comes with a better fan and the bolt-thru kit; and it's cheaper than the regular HDT-s1283 + bolt-thru.

Yeah :/ Thought as much

Guess i'll go ahead and save for the Xigmatech... trying to get that ASAP though, cause this stock cooler is really starting to worry me :/

Hopefully i can pull it off around Wednesday or so

+1 on the HDT-S1283. Xigmatek is apparently about to come out with another variant of the Direct Touch series with a new HDT-S1234F which has 4 8mm heatpipes instead of the 3 of the mentioned heatsink. You can look at it on their website Here. It looks to be very promising, when I finally upgrade to a i5 system that's most likely what im going to be looking for instead of keeping my 1283 cooler with a new bracket. Currently I can't find them for sale anywhere and a google search yields nothing but their website so its really new. I don't know what the price on it will be but im sure it wont be more than just a little more than the 1283 I would imagine.

That thing is $24.98 now after rebate on newegg + free shipping + "Free 15 ft. USB cable w/ purchase, while supplies last"

Just poking around newegg, and found the Zalman 9900... is that any good? I was looking at it a while back, but never got it cause well... i'm broke lol

Its $44. I thought you couldnt afford that much?? If you can, get the Xigmatek 1283, its much better.

Yeah, i just saw how much better it is and that it's a little bit cheaper. :D

Dark Knight is in the mail :D Thanks guys! :salute:

+1 on the HDT-S1283. Xigmatek is apparently about to come out with another variant of the Direct Touch series with a new HDT-S1234F which has 4 8mm heatpipes instead of the 3 of the mentioned heatsink. You can look at it on their website Here. It looks to be very promising, when I finally upgrade to a i5 system that's most likely what im going to be looking for instead of keeping my 1283 cooler with a new bracket. Currently I can't find them for sale anywhere and a google search yields nothing but their website so its really new. I don't know what the price on it will be but im sure it wont be more than just a little more than the 1283 I would imagine.

They've had 4 heatpipe versions out for a while. They don't perform better than the 3 heatpipe ones though. This is because the 3 heatpipe version puts all 3 pipes on the CPU, whereas the 4 heatpipe version puts 2 full pipes and parts of the outer two on the CPU.

Yeah, i just saw how much better it is and that it's a little bit cheaper. :D

Dark Knight is in the mail :D Thanks guys! :salute:

Good choice, you'll be very happy with it.

The problem with the 4 heatpipe version is actually that the heatpipes were smaller, and couldnt transfer as much heat. The new cooler is supposed to have 4 heatpipes that are the same size as the 1283 (I believe the 1284 had 6mm heatpipes and 1283 has 8mm).

Back