• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16X vs 8X GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

The rig I added last night to the fold has dual PCIe slots.
But one is 16x the other 8x...

I currently have 1 8600GTS XXX card in the 16x slot.
Would PPD be affected by the half speed slot if I were to add another card?

And one last thing. Does the 8600GTS need a dummy plug to fold?

Thanks!

Even PCIe x4 is fast enough for folding.

You won't need a dummy plug with new drivers. But in my experience GPUs folding under Vista / 7 without dummies tend to EUE a lot. But that's maybe just my bad luck. With XP and linux, dummy plugs are not necessary.

Ok.

The OS on the rig in question is XP.

Would it be better to buy another 8600GTS XXX for the other slot, or pick up something a bit faster?

I would shoot for a 8800GT of any flavor. The 8600GT(S) is going to get you 1500 PPD+ compared to a 8800GT 4500 PPD+. I have found them on the classifieds here or CL for $50 and up.

Hmm. How about sell the 8600 GTS XXX and get a GTX 285?

What kind of PPD do they put out?

I don't know about folding but for seti@home I traded up my 8600GTS for a 260GTX. Went from 1,500 ppd to 10,000 ppd (we call them cobblestones). And right now the 260GTX is the best bang for the buck for seti@home. Just my 2 cents.

Ok. Maybe Ill wait for the new 300 series to be released and snag one from someone upgrading.

Thanks

The GTX260 is tops in the ppd/watt category in the GT200 based cards. At about $200 new, it is tops (or close to it) in the ppd/$ category among the GT200 cards.

Back