• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does XP require basic disks or dynamic disks for mirrorring?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foolios

basic disks or dynamic disks for mirrorring?

Or does it matter which type the disks are?

I ask because I can not get the add mirror option to enable. I have the two drives made to match in size, they are the same kind and type of drives.

Raid is enabled for these two drives via the bios. Raid drivers were installed when O.S. install.

The option to do it is there in drive management via WinXp Pro but its just not enabled for clicking on...

Last edited:
Your working with 2 different RAID setups here. The RAID in the BIOS has nothing todo with the one in WinXP's drive managment. They are 2 different setups and you need to pick which one you want to use. WinXP's "RAID" isnt really RAID and doesnt work as well as what your BIOS would have.

Mirrored volumes are only supported on dynamic disks.
You cannot create mirrored volumes on computers that are running Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. However, you can use a computer that is running Windows XP Professional to create mirrored volumes on remote computers that are running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server, or the equivalent versions of Windows Server 2003. You must have administrative privileges on the remote computer to do this.

How to create a mirrored volume on a remote Windows 2000-based computer in Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307880

Mirrored volumes are only supported on dynamic disks.

How to create a mirrored volume on a remote Windows 2000-based computer in Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307880

O wow, that is the first article I ran into that says that XP Pro can't create mirrors. I swear I read one that said XP Pro could, but XP Home was the one that could not.

It is very curious that XP Pro has the context menu on right click that has add mirror as an option. It's greyed out, but it is there.

I am guessing it must just be for that instance where it's being created remotely on a 2000 machine...

Thanks for letting me know about this. Would have lost a lot more time since there is an article or two that misstates this...

Back