• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OSX + GPU folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bluefalcon13

Hey all,

I was wondering if another OS-X user, one with more experence than I could assist me in figuring out how to get the Windows GPU folding program from Stanford running on OS-X via WINE.

Background info thread on Folding forums

Basically, Nvidia has CUDA packages for OS-X which should support this program, the major issues seems to be accessing said CUDA packages due to the program being coded for Windows. This program has been made to work through WINE in linux, and I was hoping someone would be able to better guide me through getting it running in OS-X.

Further info/download locations:

PageGuide to getting GPU folding running in linux

DownloadWinOtherStanford folding download site for GPU folding (Win32 only; console version is the one I'd prefer to run due to less overhead)

Any help anyone could provide would be great. I've never been particularly well versed in using WINE, and have very little experence with OS-X (just got my MacBook Pro a month ago) and I still qualify as a Linux noob, so I have a few Handicaps against me :D

See my reply to your post in the folding section. ;)

I appreciate the information, but the intent of this thread is more of seeking assistance in investigating a work-around in-lue of a supported client. I am intending to poll the more experenced OSX/WINE commmunity so maybe we can figure out how to get the GPU client running via WINE (similar to how the GPU client is run on Linux, but for OSX).

I don't think that it would be as efficient ini WINE and I also don't think it would really be worth it unless you have a high end card in a Mac Pro. I would wait until they come up with an OpenCL version of the client.

in linux you ahve to run GPU folding in wine, not sure about osx but i'd assume it's the same deal...and it's very efficient

Back