• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply problem??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

utleymu

I built my rig a while back when the i7's were new and everything worked fine. But lately for some reason whenever i shutdown my computer if i try to turn it back on it doesnt work. The fans and lights will flash on for a second then turn off. I usually have to turn off the power supply and wait about 15 minutes then it will work again. I have an ABS 900 watt psu. Is this definitely a problem with my psu or could the problem lie elsewhere? Any help would be appreciated thank you! :)

I think some more info would be needed.

like board cpu hdd video card cooling

i'm not familiar with this problem but if I had to guess maybe the caps in psu are overloaded and need time to cool off? this is a crap shoot because you don't really provide much information and i'm not as experienced.

Maybe you should test the voltages when it is not able to power on. How hot is everything?
are you overloading it? it wouldn't make sense to me unless you were dual sli ing or cross fireing with an overvolted and oced i7..., 16 gb of overvolted ram and 8 harddrives or some type of optical drive. along with 12 usb devices connected.

my old crt monitor is doing the same thing it powers itself off when i'm actively using it as well as humming. I heard there is a built in psu for monitors and that the capacitors might need to be replaced in those cases.

Last edited:
I've got an ancient computer with a horribly sh**y PSU that does the same thing. So I'd put money on something along those lines.

Back