• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Complete Stereo Setup, need help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Hey guys,

My Dad needs a new stereo system, and I don't know much about sound systems, but I know that you guys do :) I'd appreciate some suggestions and ideas.

Budget: $800, and suggestions for lower priced systems would also be great

Needs:
-5 CD changer
-Reciever
-2 speakers (would prefer to hang them up on the walls, but may have other options)
-1 subwoofer

[EDIT]Other Info:
-Room is a combination of a living room, dining room, and kitchen. Living room has high ceilings, and dining room and kitchen part have about 1/2 the height ceilings.
-Music: classical, jazz, country, pop, rock.

Let me know what you guys think, and what kind of options I can pass along to my Dad. Much appreciated!

-Jon

Last edited:
When you say hang on wall.......................

What size speakers are we talking about? Also what size room?

$800 can get you some choice gear shopping the used market. Where are you located? I can search your local Craigslist and probably find some good gear for you. Also, depending on what kind of music your dad listens to, a subwoofer may not be necessary. Unless your dad listens to rap or techno, he would be better off putting the subwoofer money towards a higher quality pair of speakers. I dont advise hanging speakers on the walls, being to close too close to the wall will introduce unwanted resonance and distort the sound. Either get floor standers or get some larger bookshelf speakers with stands ;). The "Mini" system in my sig falls well within his budget, just replace the Squeezebox with an Adcom GCD-500 and youre talking crazy good sound for ~$600.

When you say hang on wall.......................

What size speakers are we talking about? Also what size room?

I'm not sure of the current speaker sizes exactly, but they are relatively small and hang up on the wall. I'm kind of guessing hanging on the wall might not remain an option, as I can't really see "nicer" speakers having the same size/weight as the current ones. I'll get you guys some room size specs soon as well. But basically it is for a living room that is connected to a living room and kitchen (it's kind of all in one).

$800 can get you some choice gear shopping the used market. Where are you located? I can search your local Craigslist and probably find some good gear for you. Also, depending on what kind of music your dad listens to, a subwoofer may not be necessary. Unless your dad listens to rap or techno, he would be better off putting the subwoofer money towards a higher quality pair of speakers. I dont advise hanging speakers on the walls, being to close too close to the wall will introduce unwanted resonance and distort the sound. Either get floor standers or get some larger bookshelf speakers with stands ;). The "Mini" system in my sig falls well within his budget, just replace the Squeezebox with an Adcom GCD-500 and youre talking crazy good sound for ~$600.

I'm located in the Philly suburbs, so I assume there should be a good Craigslist market.

Also, we decided we wanted a subwoofer because the current system has no bass to it. I'm not sure if that means higher end speakers will fill the void in the lows or not, is that what your asserting? He listens mostly to classical music, some country, and some rock.

Last edited:
Yeah, the little speakers you guys are using definitely dont put out much bass. A good bookshelf will put out ample bass, and with floorstanders, a sub most definitely wont be needed, especially for classical music. I listen to alot of trance and rock, and none of my setups need a sub. My main system doesnt even have tone controls, and it sounds excellent. Ill search Craigslist for you when I get home from work. If your dad can swing the cash, a tube based setup would be ideal...tubes and classical music are a match made in heaven. Match it with some horn speakers like Klipsch Heresys, and he will have a big smile on his face.

Back