• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel working on 48 core chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
p_scc-h-wafer.jpg

I like pics :)

Also, this is NOT related to Larrabee. Larrabee's on chip communication and focus is completely different.

The coolest thing about this chip is the 2nd generation mesh network. Any core can talk and send/receive data from any other core at very high speeds.

Seems like this is an answer to a similar mesh design cpu which was announced recently of course just on paper. Good to know several radically different micro architectures reach real silicon at Intel's labs.

I wonder if lara and the ringbus limitation made them think about this solution.

i might be off but when i read all those... the only thing im thinking right now... is a tweaked atom core with a network for sending data to other cores. that is about the only current cpu i know of that intel has that might even get close to a low 25watt TDP with that many cores...

still going to be interesting to see how it preforms..

The 25W power draw is the 'minimum' but it goes up to 125W. It could be Atom-like cores but doesn't need to be, could just be some very aggressive power saving features.

25W when the cores are powered down, recently read AMD had new transistors which can be powered down to zero leaking included. These impressive numbers will only get better with reasearch going into the direction of doing the task quickly by raising speed aka turbo mode and switch off completely when done.

Back