• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build *AMD* need comfirm!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devilreaverx

Registered
As i am new to AMD and apprently it is the way i need to go because the 1366 boarrds are hard to come buy here in adelaide i am going AMD and because of the prices i will be able to get a Xfire in budget.

What ya think? by the way it will be used for heavy gaming such as COD4 and Unreal III at LAN partys, with some medium level photoshop and movie editing use.

The parts im thinking about are as follows.

Asus M4A79T-DELUXE $240

AM3 X4 965 $269

Antec Six Hundred $119

Antec Earthwatts 500 $95

3 X 2GB DDR3 Kingston 1333 $175

ATI Gigabyte 5770 $199

Seagate 500GB $64

All prices from MSY.

Budget $1200
$1161 total
$1360 Xfire

Any problems or suggestions please i need to know if this will work?

(PS i have optical drives so no need for them)

I would look for a modern stepping of a 955 (c3? c0?) rather then the 965, if you're overclocking the difference is pretty minimal and the 955 is cheaper. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 965's though, they're great CPUs.
I would get a western digital hard drive, but that's largely personal preference on my part.
You need a dual channel ram kit, not triple channel. The only triple channel setup is the intel LGA1366 motherboard and CPUs. Everybody else uses dual channel. You can use three sticks, but you'll be stuck with single channel mode, half the bandwidth of dual channel.
Asus makes great motherboards, i don't know anything specific about that one though.

The prices seem high, but that is probably because they're in ozbucks and of course, in australia.

So your telling me im gonna need 2 or 4 sticks of ram. hmmm so i can use the same ram i am getting but only two of them unless i get another making it 4.

just making sure

If you want the speed of dual channel, yes you need to use 2 or 4 sticks.
You can use 3, but performance will likely suffer.

Look at the

"For Intel 1156pin P55 i5, i7 & AM3 Motherboard " of the MSY parts price list

section of the RAM. Then chose one from there.

Back