• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird psu fan problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

Got myself a coolermaster case with 500w psu. The main fan is in a funny position - it's actually on the bottom of the case, pointing towards the floor. Now, the problem is, that the fan makes a (fairly quiet) noise - sort of a scraping noise, but doesn't sound all that bad. If I put the case on its side, it goes away. If I put the case on the carpet (the case does have legs) I can barely hear it, but was advised by the store to put it on a wooden board - but then the noise is pretty noticable. Is this just the sound that most people just put up with? Would it be ok to just leave it sitting on the carpet, since the legs give it a little airflow?

is there a fan grill to allow air from outside to be sucked into the PSU?
you could mount it with the fan facing inside the case. there's no problem with that.
i don't hear any sound coming out of my PSU execpt the sound of the air from the fan.

Got myself a coolermaster case with 500w psu. The main fan is in a funny position - it's actually on the bottom of the case, pointing towards the floor. Now, the problem is, that the fan makes a (fairly quiet) noise - sort of a scraping noise, but doesn't sound all that bad. If I put the case on its side, it goes away. If I put the case on the carpet (the case does have legs) I can barely hear it, but was advised by the store to put it on a wooden board - but then the noise is pretty noticable. Is this just the sound that most people just put up with? Would it be ok to just leave it sitting on the carpet, since the legs give it a little airflow?

Having it on the Carpet isnt advisable unless you want your computer to be like a vacuum cleaner and suck all the dust up into it, put a board under it if sitting on Carpet,

Whch fan actual making the Noise PSU fan or a Case fan mounted on bottom of case

Is there a 'grill' or vent on the bottom of the case where the PSU goes? This is for PSUs like the one you have. See if you can install the PSU into the case 'upside' down. Most cases do that now if they don't have a vent at the bottom for the PSU to get cool air.

Is there a 'grill' or vent on the bottom of the case where the PSU goes? This is for PSUs like the one you have. See if you can install the PSU into the case 'upside' down. Most cases do that now if they don't have a vent at the bottom for the PSU to get cool air.

Mad, yes that will work too as long as one is aware they will lose a couple inches reaching their cable connections. Some of these PSU's don't give you much on cable length.

Back