• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

really good cooling on a TIGHT budget! can it be done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

hey everyone, let me first say that this board is freaking awesome! :D i've never seen so many people helping new people out at info and stuff! anyways to my question, my current computer that i built is as follows:

AMD 800mhz T-Bird
Shuttle AK-31 Revision 3 DDR
384MB DDR (OCZ 2700 & Crucial 2400)
ATI Radeon 32 DDR
45GB IBM DeskStar
Sound Blaster Audigy X-Gamer!
Sony CD-RW 8/4/32
Pioneer 16x DVD
Global FOP38 on the t-bird as of now..
WIN 98SE

my question is about cooling.. i'm building another computer, and i'm moving the t-bird over to that one, and i'm gettin an XP for this system.. 1600 maybe 1700, i think is the sweet spot for price, and i want to overclock it, is there any good water cooling or peltier kits/setups that i could get? i've seen all sorts of stuff.. people using old fridges and stuff like that.. lol, i'm not that talented yet, so something easy to set up is a must.. also any good links to sites other than the obvious about overclocking cooling, etc. would be a huge help... thanks alot!!

well you can get a waterblock from www.dangerden.com (Maze2) or a Z4 waterblock from www.overclockershideout.com. Those seems to be ideal waterblocks. I have the Maze2 and it does its job well.

you can get a heatercore from Pep Boys or your local automotive store (Kragen and whatnot). Heater cores are cheap, around $25-35. if you want a cheaper one you can look on eBay or at a junk yard (usally got for about $10). if you have an old 120mm fan that'd be ideal for cooling the heatercore. make sure you have a shroud on it, a cardboard box will do fine.

as for a reservior you can use any old tupperware container or something. for your pump you can check a local aquarium store, i got my Rio 1400 (400Gph) for $25.

If you look in the right places you can probably get your whole watercooling rig up and running for under $100. Best of luck to ya.

Oh, also to modify the heatercore you can go to your local hardware store and pick up some tubing, and some hose barbs. 3/8" is a good side (inner diameter). or 1/2, which will give you better flow. i'm using 3/8" and it works just fine. you can JB weld the hose barbs to the heatercore and VOILA! you're done. have fun!

Please do not double post. Once is plenty to get your questions answered. :)

Back