• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I read something interesting......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I will see if I can dig up the post when I get back to my rig later. Anyway, it was a post on XS by linus@ncix, and he stated that the Primoflex LRT tubing has some kind of biocide in it, which should technically eliminate the need for silver kill coils or PT-Nuke. Does anyone know of any truth to this?

I've never heard of it, though it would be great if true since that's what I use. It doesn't really make all that much sense though. Perhaps it has some sort of coating, but after the first system cleaning all of the biocide would probably be gone. There are people a lot smarter than me that might figure out how to make a rubbery substance permanently biocidal, but I can't think of anything but a coating that would probably wear off over time.

Last edited:
I've never heard of it, though it would be great if true since that's what I use. It doesn't really make all that much sense though. Perhaps it has some sort of coating, but after the first system cleaning all of the biocide would probably be gone. There are people a lot smarter than me that might figure out how to make a rubbery substance permanently biocidal, but I can't think of anything but a coating that would probably wear off over time.

Well, there is the tubing with silver embedded. I think it is made by Tygon. When I get back to my rig, I will see if I can dig up a link.

I used the Tygon silver. Expensive and ugly but nver had a growth, but I used PT Nuke too. If LRT has a biocide in it, it would be proudly mentioned on every sale site. It's not, that I ever saw.

6 years of water cooling and all I have ever used is distilled or filtered water from the tap and Toyota red anti-freeze. I have used un-anodized dissimilar metals consisting of aluminum and copper in the same loop for the better part of two years in the past. I have never had biological growth or a corrosion problem.

Here's a post i made a while back with pics showing the inside of the aluminum radiator and copper CPU block after the two years of running them in the same loop. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=542442

Back