• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

user acounts in w2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
how do i make common user acounts in two computers over my home lan?

im running 2k pro

both computers are part of a workgroup

Without knowing your setup and exactly what you want, and in the hope you know how to set up a network,most of what you need to do can be done from the Management Console.
Click Start>Settings>Control Panel. Click Administrative Tools, then click Computer Management.(to tinker with settings you must be logged on as Administrator) To add users, from Computer Manaement, expand the Console Tree, navigate to System Tools>Local Users and Groups>Users. On the Cosole menu Click Action>Create User. Type new users name and password in the appropriate boxes. You can then add what Users you create to Groups. From the Console Tree, navigate to System Tools>Local Users and Groups>users. In the Details pane, right-click the user and select Properties. Select the Member Of tab, then click Add. This will display the Select Groups dialog box. Select the Group you want to add the User account to, clickAdd and OK. Shared Folders allow you to limit access to certain folders. To create Shared Folders, fom Computer Management, select System Tools>Folders>Shares. From the console menu, click Action>New File Share. This opens the Create Shared Folder Wizard. You can select an entire drive to share or you can expand the folder tree and select a particular folder. Click Browse to select the item you want to share, give it a Share name and description. This will be seen by other users when they attempt a connection to the shared resource. Next you must set the permissions for the shared resource. By default it is set to Everyone. Click Next, then Finish. To set the share permissions to your liking, from Computer management, expand Shared Folders, then select Shares. Right-click the folder, select Properties from the menu, select the Share Permissions tab and set up permissions as you choose. Hope this helps you out.

basicly i want to be able to log on as admin from any computer on my network and have my setting show up

same thing with some other users

As long as your network fires up properly and your second box's drives are mapped, the above should work fine for you. I believe you'll have to have the exact same settings configured on both.

thanks stool

do i have to create the acount on both computers?

becuase when i go to the add such and such to this group it only gives me the local computer as the option

The accounts and/or users should probably be set up exactly the same on both. That includes passwords, etc. That way whichever box you access the network from will get you the same setup.

will that do the remote user thing

have a mapped drive on on acount it will show up on any computer i use? or folder or outlook calender

Back