• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On/Off switch - recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ree

Registered
Are there any potential problems associated with switching the PSU off when the PC is off as well? This will probably drain the CMOS battery more (since no stand by power will be supplied to the motherboard), but besides this minor issue, is there anything else I should know about? I myself have always turned the PSU off (seemed like a bit safer approach in case of power problems), but many (most) people seem to leave it always on. What's your opinion?

Last edited:
I don't foresee any issues turning it off at the PSU when it is off already.

I don't foresee any issues turning it off at the PSU when it is off already.
With certain settings (not overclocked), my board (Rampage Formula, X48) "dual boots" (powers on, off, then after a second on again) if the PSU is turned off but never does if it's always on. This apparently is normal behaviour, but probably still worth mentioning.

I wouldnt see any issues either. Maybe extra wear and tear on the switch but.... thats nothing. I would keep it on anyway. I have always done that with ALL my rigs for over a decade, no issues from it that I know of!

This is the way I setup my office over twenty years ago -
Power Main -> surge suppressor -> power strip -> computer PSU.

When I shut down the computer for the night I reach under the desk and hit the power switch for the power strip.

This does two things:
It powers off all those 'vampire' power supplies that charge batteries (cell phone, lcd tv, etc).
It turns off the power to the computer PSU and monitor.

If a surge comes down the power main then the surge suppesor should stop it, if it doesn't then the power switch at the power strip will.

In the time since I instagated this setup I have replaced the surge suppresor twice so I know it works. (I have also replaced a Refigerator and a Hot Water heater when the power surges hit).

So if you live in an area where the power spikes frequently a surge suppresor is a must!

And I had the same power supply in my (see sig) main rig for over 10 years until the upgrade to Core 2 Quad with out any problems at all.

P.S.

Your BIOS battery will die eventually even if you never turn the main power off on your PSU, they are only designed to last a year, the best I ever got out of one was three years. So why take a chance on a surge taking out your system for a buck fifty?

With certain settings (not overclocked), my board (Rampage Formula, X48) "dual boots" (powers on, off, then after a second on again) if the PSU is turned off but never does if it's always on. This apparently is normal behaviour, but probably still worth mentioning.

My evga board does the same.

Back