• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

soon-to-be PS3 owner - PS3 + Netflix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Naked Mole Rat

Hey all,

Plan on getting my family our first HDTV. We're going to get a PS3 so we can watch blu-rays as well as play games.

I just found out that the PS3 can stream netflix. So my question is, when you stream a blu-ray netflix movie, does it look just as good as if you rented the same blu-ray disc?

My first PS3 purchase plans to be Little Big Planet (mainly for the wife since she's only into puzzle type games).

What other must have game should I get? People have been saying Unchartered 2.

I don't like FPS games on consoles because I prefer mouse + keyboard. Can't stand the less accurate controller. So 3rd person games are my preference on consoles.

Thanks!

So my question is, when you stream a blu-ray netflix movie, does it look just as good as if you rented the same blu-ray disc?

doesnt look anywhere near Blu-Ray. it streams so it depends on your connection. I have 20meg down and most of the streams for me are SD or so.

People have been saying Unchartered 2.
havnt played it yet but i have heard the same thing.

There isnt streaming of Bluray movies. I find that most of the movies at max quality take around 4Mb/s connection and are slightly less than DVD quality. As for game recommendations, I cant comment on that. I bought PS3 over a year ago and have maybe played about 24hrs of games total on it.

Hey all,

Plan on getting my family our first HDTV. We're going to get a PS3 so we can watch blu-rays as well as play games.

I just found out that the PS3 can stream netflix. So my question is, when you stream a blu-ray netflix movie, does it look just as good as if you rented the same blu-ray disc?

My first PS3 purchase plans to be Little Big Planet (mainly for the wife since she's only into puzzle type games).

What other must have game should I get? People have been saying Unchartered 2.

I don't like FPS games on consoles because I prefer mouse + keyboard. Can't stand the less accurate controller. So 3rd person games are my preference on consoles.

Thanks!

Haven't experimented much with netflix, but if you're one of the hundreds of people that bought a playstation knowing they don't like console controlls (sigh... woe unto you) then there's a device called "FragFX which will give you the mouse support you're looking for.

It was actually on sale for $29.99 on black friday, but normally costs 50 bucks... less than the price of a game.

So there goes that line of complaining... :)

As for games Uncharted 2 is awesome... but it really only makes sense to get if you played the first Uncharted (which you can probably get for $19.99.)

Killzone will be great once you get your FragFX. Batman Arkham Asylum is the game of the year as far as I'm concerned.

I was really not impressed with the quality of the Netflix streaming. You're better off just getting the physical discs sent to you if it's anything where high-def is important. I mean, if you're watching Chasing Amy, then standard def is fine but if you're watching Transformers then you want the HD version with the awesome uncompressed sound.

indeed , streaming is a gimmick imho.

pc / 360 / ps3 , all offer sub-dvd quality.

i find it ok, if i have nothing to watch and a movie is offered while i am waiting for my dvd's to arrive.

Netflix can stream "HD" content, but it's usually TV shows rather then movies (since most the streaming movies are older anyway).

Love streaming Netflix on my 360. the SD streaming is ok (I mostly use it to watch seasons that are available in HD) and the HD streaming is nice. I got the streaming disc for the PS3 and I cannot get HD streaming, it says I don't have enough bandwidth yet the 360 works fine. the 360 when using 802.11a streams HD fine but the PS3 only does 802.11b/g. Maybe it's just my router but I cannot stream HD with the 802.11b/g at all it seems.

thanks all for your input so far which pretty much helps answer my question. i'll stick to getting the discs and buying the blu rays i like.

do ya'll think the PS3 is still a decent , if not better or equal to a standalone blu-ray player?

Ratchet and Clank is a great series, as is God of War.

PS3 is a really good BR. Updates with system firmware, loads pretty quickly, and allows either PCM or bitstreaming for audio. So, you get some flexibility.

Killzone will be great once you get your FragFX. Batman Arkham Asylum is the game of the year as far as I'm concerned.

Have you had any personal experience with the FragFX? I'd say about 80% of the user reviews/experiences I have read say it's very choppy and is pretty crappy compared to a real mouse.

PS3 BlueRay looks fine, but not as good as a standard BlueRay player.

This is just not true at all in my opinion and from what I have heard from many other people. What do you base this off of? Whats wrong with Sony Blu-Ray player's quality?

I have the bandwidth to stream the netflix through the PS3 @ their HD quality , and on a 46" Samsung Its as good or better then DVD. You can see every blemish and spot of perspiration on Bill Shatners face on the original Star Trek episodes for example. I have the same result off my Roku.

The list of choices while far less then their DVD selection is still just fine.

Its a nice extra and I often take the time to stock up my que.

For games Assassins Creed 2 and Assassins Creed 1 are great. The controls are much easier then the PC tho the Draw distances are worse.

Totally wrong. The PS3 was way ahead of its' time as far as Blu-Ray goes and just as good as any reference level equipment.

Fudge is very much right here. I have seen, and used setups that costs many thousands of dollars, and the owner was also a gamer. Obviously he used a PS3, not out of convience, but because it is just that good. And it is, it supports all the decoding options, it never has delay issues, and unlike many blu ray players on the market, it doesnt take 10 years to load. PS3>Most blu ray players.

PS3, I found, reads more blu-ray discs then my stand alone blu-ray player. For whatever reason starship troopers won't play in my player but PS3 reads it fine.

Back