• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proper Temps in Prime95, Stock i5 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Logikos

Registered
On Intel i5 - 750, 2.67 (133x20) (or 21 in Turbo mode).. running Prime95 , all 4 cores at 100% for 24hours straight here are my temps.

In Celsius

Core 0: 75
Core 1: 71
Core 2: 73
Core 3: 72

I know that is acceptable in 'limits'.. but with aftermarket thermal compound, in a mid-tower (not mini) with 120mm fans going, good ventilation.. should those numbers be a bit lower? Or is it good?

Just asking, cause I'll remount that cpu/cooler in a heartbeat if it will adjust temps slightly.. If that is dead on where it should be.. Then so be it.

Thanks guys,

On Intel i5 - 750, 2.67 (133x20) (or 21 in Turbo mode).. running Prime95 , all 4 cores at 100% for 24hours straight here are my temps.

In Celsius

Core 0: 75
Core 1: 71
Core 2: 73
Core 3: 72

I know that is acceptable in 'limits'.. but with aftermarket thermal compound, in a mid-tower (not mini) with 120mm fans going, good ventilation.. should those numbers be a bit lower? Or is it good?

Just asking, cause I'll remount that cpu/cooler in a heartbeat if it will adjust temps slightly.. If that is dead on where it should be.. Then so be it.

Thanks guys,

Those seem pretty high for stock settings with an aftermarket cooler.

Holy crap. I hope you are using the stock cooler because there is no way those temps should be being reached at stock with even the most bare bones aftermarket cooler.

Even with the stock cooler, it's pretty damn high.

Wow, I failed to mention it was the stock heatsink/fan? lol -- Yes, it is stock! But if that is high for stock, then I will remount .. It seems to run fine, but I want to know what to aim for.

50-60? 60-70?

I don't plan on upgrading to aftermarket, (though I probably will anyway lol) --

First things first.. on stock cooler.. what temps should I be aiming for at 100% on all 4 cores for 12hours on end max temp. (Sounds like they shouldn't even be close to 70) .

I am using aftermarket thermal compound on the stock setup.

I have overclocked it to a simple 3Ghz per core.. and the temps are running no hotter.

Though for my CPU's sake, I will remount it now, the OCZ thermal compound I have has zero cure time so what you get on contact is what you get 3 years from now.

Now for question 2:

I like quiet.. I've had massive 60-80dB coolers on previous Air setups.. I have a mid-tower,.. good air flow.. 120 and 140mm fans around in on front, in on bottom.. out in upper back, etc. Lots of room, took the time for good cable management etc.

(IE: I can open the case door and pull the cooler off and remount the paste/cooler without moving or unplugging a thing due to the time I put into wire management).

Anyway,.. you get the idea..

If I wanted to stay as quiet as I am now.. what aftermarket cooler would you recommend for some , say 3.5-4Ghz i5 750 Clock speeds?

Just an example.. it will boot into Win 7 on stock cooler at 4Ghz right now.. on stock Vcore etc. (Not saying it is very stable.. but lots of potential there).

I'm stable at 3Ghz right now on stock setup, so bound to be able to squeeze a reasonable amount more out of an aftermarket cooler setup without raising the noise level (And this 3Ghz isn't as far as it will go, just a nice round number I felt like bumping it to).

Thanks,

Don't bother remounting. Invest $20 in an aftermarket cooler. The stock fan is barely able to handle stock speeds (as you can see).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

Too late, I remounted anyways.. I am extra careful, take my time and so forth.. too much money to burn by being hasty.. but even so unmount, clean heatsink and cheap with alcohol.. Remove chip and remount for good measure.. Reapply thermal compound, and remount in 10mins flat. (That counts unhooking everything, moving case, opening, etc.. so not a huge hassle really imo).

Now that I've already gone over stock speeds.. running at 3Ghz instead of 2.66,.. I might as well go with aftermarket cooler and clock it even higher, eh?

You linked a 19.99$ cooler ,.. will that do the job for a good more overclock? Can I get up to 3.5-4ghz at the same quietness of the stock fan with that cooler? Or is there one for 30-40$ that is better suited?

Oh, and the remount changed nothing, at all! lol.. The temps are EXACTLY the same, to the number with Prime95 after an hour,.. each core hits the same high and low. Amazing how it doesn't change not even a degree.

I'm using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835202006

Was $6, they can't be too expensive as they are just paste.. and this had 133 Reviews mostly all 5 eggs. Is there anything better on the market? I know this beats AS5 now, as AS5 is 'old school' according to many. Is there another 'best' that will beat this stuff by a few degree's? Maybe something that has a cure time to it that will lower a few degree's after some heat/cool cycles (ie: days). ?

If I'm going for an aftermarket cooler and OC'ing , I want the best thermal compound everyone agree's on. If this random OCZ I picked is it I'll be surprised.

Thanks for the help!

What do you think about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

And, on all of these they look flipped sideways compared to my 1156 socket.. do I add a bracket on them to make them fit in the 4 mounting pushholes the regular cooler mounts in now... it seems that way.

The noise rating is in 'sone' -- No idea if this thing is quiet. If it is, it looks fairly good for price , vs ease of installation vs. ability to cool.

I don't want an overcomplicated cooler that requires the MB to be pulled.. I'll yank the Video and Ram np.. but don't want to pull the Motherboard to mount something on the back of it. The 4 predrilled holes for the pushpins the stock uses and alot of aftermarkets for 1156 , so it seems, is what I'm after. (But quiet and very effective.. mid price range).

I keep throwing money at this build,.. but getting it just right.. and am not going to make it a jet engine at the last minute , when in 2010 you can run on air, OC'ed, and still be pleasantly quiet. :)

Thanks,

I'd like to mention I have seen more problems with push pin mounting where people refuse to remove the mobo. You can't tell if the pin is pushed in properly without doing it outside of the case.

Aftermarket 'good' heatsinks use screws etc to hold the HS down. It's a better tighter mount. And it involves more work.

It's a hobby overclocking and cooling a PC. There is work involved. Removing the mobo repeatedly is part of the work. You could just go back to stock speeds and leave it as it is.

I don't know where you've heard arctic silver is "old school", but that's horse manure.

Going with quality AS paste is always a safe choice.

They make quality products, they are reliable, and they are a company that has been around this community for a long time.

Other "new" pastes may be more in fashion. But I'll personally always buy AS paste because its good, and so are the people who make it.

Agreed IMOG. But there is better paste now, and not some crazy exotic stuff. it all depends on what you need. You need every C then go for better stuff. Not worried about it a lot and comfortable with the good performing AS5? No worries, AS5 is still good stuff.

Your thermal paste choice will not make or break a system's cooling.

I'd like to mention I have seen more problems with push pin mounting where people refuse to remove the mobo. You can't tell if the pin is pushed in properly without doing it outside of the case.

Aftermarket 'good' heatsinks use screws etc to hold the HS down. It's a better tighter mount. And it involves more work.

It's a hobby overclocking and cooling a PC. There is work involved. Removing the mobo repeatedly is part of the work. You could just go back to stock speeds and leave it as it is.

I understand your statement, and it isn't the 'work' I am avoiding. I've taken this apart and put it entirely back together 3 times in the last 3 days.. (slowly and carefully), every piece. I just know systems as well, and parts.. quality.

Some things are cheap and over complicated and just down right frustrating simply due to bad design to save a few bucks.

I don't have to "just go back to stock speeds and leave it as is" .. It is already OC'ed to over 3Ghz and is stable as a rock with the stock cooler.

As I said, I Just want quality, and quiet. It exists, ...

To the others, as much as I would like to set up a WC rig, (which I may do someday)... I don't want to quiet yet (may turn this rig into one just yet),.. but I move it around alot. So it wouldn't be in my best interest with a reservoir etc. Plus funds are tightening up due to the season. I can support a midgrade cooler fan/heatsink.. a WC system, might be pushing this project a bit :) I've already gone way over budget. Didn't intend on any OC to start with, but you know how that goes.

As for the Pushpin through the otherside of the MB, I actually like the design. It makes it , well, simple and effective. I can see the back of my board well enough mounted from the other side of the case to see if the two pins have gone through properly, or haven't.. and even before I can hear it, but I always check.

I will get a HSF that screws into those 4 ports , that is no big deal... I still didn't get any recommendations aside from the $19.99 -- which I find hard to believe is the best , quietest, I can get for $50 or less. (Just a random figure).

As for thermal compound,.. Maybe I'll pick up AS5 again, but now I see some say it isn't the best , some say it is.. lol. But you are right thermal compound doesn't make or break the rig, but a few degree's never hurts.

You need every C then go for better stuff. Not worried about it a lot and comfortable with the good performing AS5? No worries, AS5 is still good stuff.

Whats the 'better stuff' you are referring to?

Well, I ended up finding the perfect solution. A Water cooling setup in a box, that is decently made. The Corsair Hydro Series H50.

If you aren't familiar it is a sealed Water cooling system. IE: A block for the CPU, backplate to mount block well to go behind MB, A pump, line in and out, a radiator, and a fan (plus brackets, screws, and odds and ends.

At first glance I was like.. no way this works well.. but reviews looked good and the price was right, so I tried it.

Here is the newegg link if you are curious about it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010&Tpk=h50

Anyhow,.. for a WC setup of sorts, even if simplified you can imagine you have to take the machine completely apart again.. no just pulling some cards and popping some cables.. entire dissassembly minus yanking the HD and Bluray drives.

So here I am after such, contemplating my fate on putting that on my MB. :)

wccontemplate.jpg

Yeah.. was fun though! Here is the cooler fully installed,.. I moved a fan around to have an exhaust at the top where there wasn't one before. (This thing didn't really fit at first, had to make some modifications to get it to fit and pretend my hands were like a little girls (that part doesn't work so well).

wcinstalled.jpg

Not too bad imo.

The total picture is in my sig, I try my best to keep things for the best airflow, messiest part is all the extra 'non-modular' plugs on my PSU at the bottom, but hey , I think it is ok. If you look close you'll see how I've had to strap tie the input/output hoses so they don't make contact with the exhaust fan.. I think ideally I need to grab a 140mm slim design and cut the 'mod' I did to prevent contact.

Results..

Remember my temps on the stock HSF, at stock speeds in prime95?

Yeah.. 70-75 degrees.. well you guys got me moving on this lol.. and when I booted into Windows, I checked temps at idle.. 19 degree's.. Wow, that was nice and frigid, but how would it hold on load.

So I ran prime95 for 2hrs and came back.. Max temps on STOCK timings never got out of the 30's. So I just rebooted, went straight to 200x20.. 4ghz -- Ran fine, temps still didn't get as hot as they were on stock cooler at stock clocks.. but they were getting in the mid 60's.. Ram didn't like it too much after memtest (another issue).

So.. I backed it off some, for cooler temps overall, longevity , and still have a good overclock, safe speeds, and much, MUCH better cooled processor than I was even hoping.

I mean, from 74 degree's to 36 degree's ? That is insane for a 65$ cooler at bestbuy. (Little more involved than some, but for those results, for me, well worth it).

I highly recommend it, would work in a gaming rig that someone moved around if they had the space as it is sealed.

Thanks for getting me off my arse on this one.. And maybe you guys or someone who reads this will get this product and appreciate the same sort of results I did.

* While I have your attention, you seeing my full setup.. I have 3 120mm fans. 1 behind the radiator, pulling outside air in across the radiator to cool the water.. (advised method of mounting) Makes sense.

-- 2nd fan is in front of case, lower part in front of HD bays,.. bring cold air from outside generally inside case front to back.

-- 3rd fan is up top, and is pushing air out of the case.. I call it my exhaust (heat rises and all that).

Any better 'obvious' setup with these three fans, and anything obvious I should purchase.. ie: A 140mm fan or two and place them in an exhaust or intake position somewhere?

Thanks for helping and reading,

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232141

If you know anything about XS, you know they really don't even measure/test anything but the top stuff.

I just use MX-2. Good, easy to apply. Rated pretty well.

Good review. Looks like the indigo really knocks the socks off of things. Granted it is all relative to a few degree's (IE: 1-2) , .. so I won't be yanking my water block off for the indigo , or will I.. hehe.

Back