• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY professional paintjob for aluminum cases?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prefix

Registered
Hey guys,
So I'm really happy with my case (CoolerMaster ATCS 840). There are only two cosmetic changes I'd like to make: 1)add a side-panel window (which I'm in the process of) and 2)Paint the inside!

The inside is a very boring aluminum color, and I want to spice it up and get it a nice, glossy mirror-like black.

I'd take it to a professional painter, but they want an arm and a leg for payment. :( So I'm looking at other alternatives.

What would you guys recommend to get a professional, high-quality paint job for aluminum? I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to painting but I'm willing to learn if you guys are willing to teach :)

Cheers!

i painted my entire case frame with enamel paint
is great if you prime alot first
sand it back really well
use lots of coats and lots of clear coat

Hey Sweefu,
is your case aluminum? I know that you are supposed to use different techniques of the case is aluminum or steel - I'm just not sure what those techniques are :p Mind posting some pics? I'd love to see it! :)

fairly sure mine was aluminium mate, if you scroll down a few there is a thread called case project by me (sweefu) and there are tonnes of pics in there :)
feel free to pm me if you want to know anything more, or add me on msn.
Cheers.

Scuff the interior with scotch brite (fine). Apply self etching primer, scuff again, paint with color of your choice. Pretty easy.... : )

Which method would give me the best finish? I want to try and get a polished, smooth finish that looks "professional", I guess. Think like the paint on a nice car! Just beautiful :)

lots of very thin coats (can't do it too thin, can do it too thick easily), use the right primer and then the right paint on top of that, use clear paint to make it more scratch resistant. (all the stuff said before, really)

whick primer to use? just look on the cans in the DIY paint section in the local DIY store..

oh, and if you want really nice results, hang the pieces like the pro's, on a metal hook or wire at working/chest level, so much easier then working on somthing thats on the ground and having to flip it over to paint the other side...

Back