• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happened to duel socket AMD Mobos???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dantec

I remember Mates going on about boards like Abit-VP6, and even more recently asus DSBV-DX/C but what about a gaming 2-way socket AMD2+ or AMD3?

I'd love to run dual Phenoms™ II's. :comp:

there was the A7M266-D Dual Socket A motherboard with support for the new AMD Athlon™ MP processor in '01 but nothing since.
Isnt Intel bringing out/ brought out a 3 Socket Mobo??
as well as i heard something about a 48core or something stupid like that?

AMD = Best so why are we the underdogs all the time :shrug:

anyone got any thoughts?

Last edited:
You generally can't stick just any two CPUs together, they have to be designed for use in multi-socket setups. There's no Hydra for CPUs, AFAIK. Multi-socket AMD boards use Opteron CPUs and 1207-pin Socket F.

Also, you probably want dual sockets rather than duel sockets. Dueling sockets might cause severe depreciation in value of your board.

dual/quad Opteron boards on NewEgg

Multisocket consumer-type boards went the way of the dodo when multicore CPUs became available and common.

But if you really want multisocket then petteyg359 has a good link, but you'll have to get server CPUs and the mobos won't have overclocking features. Basically without spending a fortune you can only get 1.8GHz quad cores (obviously 2 dual cores would be a waste) which means you may as well get a consumer quad core and oc it to 3.6GHz.

Not worth it. Get a newer quad and OC it, the power, memory and motherboard price increases are far more than a new quad core chip.

True. It would be an interesting project trying to work out away of making it work. but would probably end up costing a lot to even get started....

Is it possible too link to Mobos? say run both into a pair of HDDs in raid as well as link the outputs for both to one gpu? or would that just blow up in my face lol :rain:

or should i just upgrade to something like AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4Ghz Socket AM3 CPU on a Asus M4N82 Deluxe Socket AM3 Motherboard with tri-sli GTX295?

True. It would be an interesting project trying to work out away of making it work. but would probably end up costing a lot to even get started....

Is it possible too link to Mobos? say run both into a pair of HDDs in raid as well as link the outputs for both to one gpu? or would that just blow up in my face lol :rain:

You can run beowulf clusters, but every system must be "complete"

For gaming it would not be good for number crunching it would. There are a few clusters based OSes out there from Linux and Windows (for Windows it is called HPC server). Basically lets you tie XXXX PCs together under a single head.

Without some type of high bandwidth low latency interconnect though it would not be a great idea. you could probably handle a few PCs tied together on gigabit ethernet.

too bad 965 AMD quads aren't smp capable, we could be seeing up to 16 cores right now, 8 for sure.....no clocking, but still, 8 cores of Phenom @3.4gig would be something to check out...

laterzzzzz......

too bad 965 AMD quads aren't smp capable, we could be seeing up to 16 cores right now, 8 for sure.....no clocking, but still, 8 cores of Phenom @3.4gig would be something to check out...

laterzzzzz......

Grab some of these along with a nice Tyan quad-socket board.

Back