• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4870 or 5770?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sweefu

Hey,
i am buying a new gpu and i have around a AUS$200 budget.. dont want to upgrade it again for a while really..
so its between 4870 or 5770?
What is the better card?
Thanks.

I would get 5770 personally. Its probably the same or a hair faster than 4870, uses less power and is DX11.

depends on what you want out of your gpu - the 5770 games fairly well, but just a tad under the 4870 BUT..........it has directx 11, eyefinity (which is nice) and is generally updated - and uses less power.........depending on which 5770, is fairly quiet too.......

something else -the 5770 handles different size displays flawlessly and running between screens is no problem......... i've been running my blu ray player on a 42" LCD @ full screen while surfing on a 21" LCD monitor.........Planet Earth never looked so good - now i just need to make use of the HDMI-out (am running to the big screen through DVI and not making use of the audio-ready HDMI)........

Just thought i'd say, though its old now i went ahead and ordered a Sapphire HD5770 today :p
Thanks for the help with the decision

have the sapphire version myself, runs great......have played around with the overclocking and seems pretty stable, but need to readjust since loading the 9.12 cat drivers.........

But the 4870 is faster and has less problems due to the drivers...
Some have said for the same reason (drivers being developed) that the current state of 4870 matching/beating 5770 slightly in specific gaming fps benches will go away, as the 5770 drivers are optimized.

Additional general advice for people making this decision - select one with the "egg" shaped cooler most 3rd party manuf's are generating when selecting a 5770 instead of the rectangular stock shape - it is a more thermally efficient design that generates less noise - great qualities for "overclockers" and "silencers" alike :). Best I can tell they're being priced identically.

Back