• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Router Print Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
So I was looking at print servers and they are all $40-$50 for wired and $80-90 for wireless. So I was thinking why not just get a router/switch with usb, it'll be easier. Well looking on newegg I've found two,

Asus WL-520gU
or
RT-N13U

. Now the first one support dd-wrt while the second doesn't but support for dd-wrt is just pending someone donating the hardware because there is already other routers running similar chipsets. So my question is with the RT-N13U can I set it up like a printer server wirelessly? I already have an existing router and wireless, but I'd like to be able to have the router connect to my existing wireless, or will I have to just hardwire it in?

Since they are the same price if this will work, then I'll get the RT-N13U, even though dd-wrt isn't supported yet.

Thanks

Interesting after reading your post I got interested in this hardware. Do you know after flashing to dd-wrt the print server is supported?

Interesting after reading your post I got interested in this hardware. Do you know after flashing to dd-wrt the print server is supported?

The 520gU can use multiple USB devices, such as a printer, but it does not work out of the box. For DD-WRT, I had to install a SVN build that supports USB and then install the print server manually on the router.

As far as the RT-N13U question, you might want to try and contact ASUS and see if it supports wireless client bridge mode. That is what you want. DD-WRT offers that, but that does not help you right now.

Back