• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide For 2 stage cascade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tjh566

Well, awhile ago I built a single stage phase sytem myself and it worked out pretty good, got down to -30c and ran at -20c loaded. Ive got an extra compressor now so I was thinking of taking apart the old system and combining the 2 compressors into a 2-stage cascade.

My thing is I dont know much about how they work, I need a good explination of what exactly happens and what parts are needed.

You are most likely not going to find one.
Cascades are dangerous systems to begin with, and it is something that you should be able to plot and understand without a guide or book. Work with your knowledge of refrigerants and come up with what would be needed to condense an example gas, say R23.

From there apply your building skills.

Cascades are not thrown together systems, requiring calculations and the careful application of all tools to the entire system.

A single stage can just be thrown together.

In a cascade if the first stage becomes unbalanced and the load increases and the system crashes the second stage could reach pressures that could easily break brazed joints or cause something to burst.

Is an autocascade (with one compressor) easier to deal with or just as complicated?

way more complicated, its a PITA to setup and keep it running, I heard that even connecting a pressure gauge could throw it off-balance and mess it up. a 2 stage is way more easy then the autocascade, and both are a lot more difficult compared to a singlestage wich is (rather) easy.

Back