• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VM related questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bluefalcon13

well, I'm trying to max my PPD to fend off mr onefstsnake (atleast take it to two months) so I've got my Macbook pro SMP folding, my 8800GTS folding, and just setup a Virtualbox Ubuntu VM.

I was wondering a few things:

1) Why does everyone prefer VMPlayer vs. Virtualbox?

2) I got this bad boy rockin the SMP client, system in sig. I have the GPU client set to low, and the VM itself (via taskmanager) set to idle. Also have the Virtualbox setup for 2 CPUs, and 4gigs of ram. Currently GPU is rocking as it always has, even time-stamp wise. Will this setup allow me to even finish my SMP WUs in the VM within the time limits?

Apparently the VMPlayer 3.0 w/ Ubuntu 9.04 yields the highest PPD.

VMPlayer is pretty easy to setup.

Oh and you will be happy to hear I bid on an i7 920. :D
But that wont be finished till next year so no worries.

main rig... I was getting annoyed trying to setup a console SMP client, so I just made a VM

Temps are ugly on my main rig though... need to find a better way to mount my HSF (using standard AMD bracket to hold my 9500AM2 cooler on, without a lid on the CPU), and a better case (airflow wise, looking to get an Antec Two Hundred)

Im getting ~ 13m per % on my 6000+ @ 3.3ghz

What are your temps?

Im using the 9700 cooler which isnt much different.

1. Folding in VMware Player is about 10% faster than Virtual box. VMware products have been rock solid since day one while Virtual box has had stability problems while folding.
2. At 19 minutes/frame you'll easily make the deadlines. For reference a T7200 (2.0 GHz)running VMware Player 3.0 turns a2 WU frames at about 17:20.

temps are 55C with the case front open (bypasses filter). I think my 9500 isnt making perfect contact with my CPU die though... I DID delid it, but the cooler is heavy and gravity is working against the top edge of the die. I really need to get a backplate-mounted cooler, not one that uses the mounting brackets.

1. Folding in VMware Player is about 10% faster than Virtual box. VMware products have been rock solid since day one while Virtual box has had stability problems while folding.
2. At 19 minutes/frame you'll easily make the deadlines. For reference a T7200 (2.0 GHz)running VMware Player 3.0 turns a2 WU frames at about 17:20.

ew... mac client running native is getting ~30mins a % (T7700 2.4ghz, temps 51C which isnt bad for a laptop).

heatsink isnt sitting flush. I know its not. Its keeping it cool enough to not crash (btw, this is via mobo software, not coretemp, due to brizzy temp sensors)

looks to be the same base. figured for 2 bucks, I'll try this before I go pony up for a TRUE cooler or something.. the 9500AM2 is a decent cooler, just cause I delidded, it doesnt sit right...

Back