• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unplugging/replugging ethernet cable cases FAH SMP crash?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

My internet died earlier today (Thanks seldomlink!) and i reset my cable modem in the hopes that'd fix things. It didn't, and i knocked my main box's ethernet cable out of the router at the same time.
When i plugged it back in, it connected to the router as normal and then FAH SMP crashed, displaying MPI communication errors.
This is a box that had at the time been running for three days folding continually.

Anybody else ever see this?

What OS?

Windows SMP (MPICH version) is known to be reliant on the machines network connection to maintain communication across each process. That's one of the reasons the Deino MPI version was created.

I've never seen this happen on Linux, although I run all my Linux SMP in VMs so they're isolated from Windows and its network connection - native may be a different story.

You can prevent Win SMP (MPICH) from crashing on loss of net connectivity by installing the Microsoft loopback adapter. You'll have to google it.

This is a Windows MPICH client problem and doesn't affect Linux SMP or Win Deino SMP. With VMware. VMware is the way to go if you must run Windows. The SMP2 client may change that in the not too distant future.

Sorry, should have given the OS. I'm running native Ubuntu 9.04.

I've never had Linux crash on loss of net connectivity, so assumed it was windows. Could be a timing issue. If you pull the plug when MPI is starting or closing, you get a crash? I don't really know.

For giggles i did it on a different box this morning, no issue.
I must have done it at a particularly bad time or something.

After this contest is done i may spend some time unplugging and replugging my ethernet cables to see if i can recreate it.

Back