• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Turion M500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ARAN

Hello to All.

I would like to ask how good the Processor Turion X2 M500 could be overclocked ?
AMD Turion II processor M500

I have found a quite very impressive and feature rich Notebook to buy that has this Processor inbuild and asking me how much difficult could it be to get a little more speed as the L2 Cache isnt the biggest.
Battery Life dont interesst me !

Packard Bell LJ71-RB-023

I'm very surprised seeing Packard Bell.. I didn't know they were still around. Looks like a name brand laptop like HP.. chances are.. BIOS is locked by manufacturer.. and you won't be able to OC it.

Reasons why not to OC your laptop
laptop-fire-02.jpg

What you need if you OC your laptop:

intel_centrino_2_4ghz_idf.jpg

It is not wise or a good practice to overclock your laptop in anyway. They are not built to handle the excess heat. The additionaly heat applied to the CPU, HDD, RAM, or GPU can cause hardware issues.

The minimal gains you'd gain from OC'ing a laptop CPU would not outweigh the risks of damaging the rest of the components from the increased heat output. A small increase (if possible) might not do anything dramatic but there's just not any headroom in such a small area. But if you're determined to do it, look to more OC friendly brands of laptops, ie Asus or MSI, as I'm sure they will have slightly better HSF unit built into it than an HP would use.

Back