• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitlocker cracked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveHCYJ

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39926434,00.htm?tag=content;col1

Now the only reason you have to get Ultimate is if you speak 20 different languages (and have the need for you computer to constantly switch between them).

Just kidding, it sounds like the attack isn't that easy to do, requiring access to your hardware so script kiddies will not be running around doing this. I did find the article interesting however and it just reinforces what most people say which is you can't depend on a single layer for security.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39926434,00.htm?tag=content;col1

Now the only reason you have to get Ultimate is if you speak 20 different languages (and have the need for you computer to constantly switch between them).

For me getting to Remote Desktop into my machine (Ultimate and Business only) is a huge plus.

Just kidding, it sounds like the attack isn't that easy to do, requiring access to your hardware so script kiddies will not be running around doing this. I did find the article interesting however and it just reinforces what most people say which is you can't depend on a single layer for security.

Not just Bitlocker falls prey to this attack, Apples FileVault, and TrueCrypt also fall to this attack. This reinforces that controlling physical access is just as important as encrypting your data.

Professional doesnt allow you to do that?

He's either using Vista, or is confusing the terms. Vista Business and above do that, but there is no Business in Win7. Vista Business=Win7 Pro for all intents and purposes.

What I meant to say was one reason to select Ultimate over Home Premium is the ability to Remote Desktop into your box.

Not just Bitlocker falls prey to this attack, Apples FileVault, and TrueCrypt also fall to this attack. This reinforces that controlling physical access is just as important as encrypting your data.

Oh I know it isn't just bitlocker, I was sort of being sarcastic. And +1 for controlling physical access, every security implementation needs a multi-tiered approach. Ironically bitlocker is marketed as protecting you from losing physical control of your machine such as losing a laptop (or maybe that is bitlocker2go, I don't know the difference).

By the way, as already mentioned Win7 Pro allows remote desktop. The only real differences between Pro and Ultimate are the multi-language support and bitlocker.

Last edited:
They didn't crack bitlocker.. they simply provided a workaround to log the key by poisoning the boot loader with a hack which logs and stores the user key for later retrieval. And it requires physical access to the machine.

Back