• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 with different types of hard drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robert74567

Registered
Hey every one, hows it goin?

I've got a quick question about putting a raid setup in my rig. I'm upgrading a few things atm (got a new mobo thats am3 compatible, and a --WOOT-- 285gtx), and decided that because im bored just waiting for water blocks to arrive, that id also throw in a raid setup...

I bought two of these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136075) 7200 rpm 8mb chache WD hds, originnaly just to run the two of them and toss my old raptor aside and just use it to back up info or something...

is this the right thing to do? i've heared that it is 'best' to run identical drives..does this apply to my situation? The raptor is 74 gigs, 10000rpm, and (i think) 16mb chace.

not true. They dont have to be the same size.It best to use the same size but they dont have to be.But im not sure about mixing 7200rpm HD's with 10,000 rpm HD's but i would try it just for kicks

yea sounds good...gunu benchmark the 7200s with and without raid and find a good stripe size, and then toss in the raptor just cus

thanks for the replies (even though i already had that much) :D

yea sounds good...gunu benchmark the 7200s with and without raid and find a good stripe size, and then toss in the raptor just cus

it sounds like you are only going to run the new drives in raid0 and the raptor NOT a member of the raid array, is that correct? if not, the raid0 will only use each drive equal to the smallest size drive. basically you would NOT get 160+160+74 = 394gb, you WILL get 74+74+74=222gb in raid0 with these drives

it sounds like you are only going to run the new drives in raid0 and the raptor NOT a member of the raid array, is that correct? if not, the raid0 will only use each drive equal to the smallest size drive. basically you would NOT get 160+160+74 = 394gb, you WILL get 74+74+74=222gb in raid0 with these drives

He's right... you'll get the two drives @ 160 each = about 300Gb in raid0 + the raptor by itself.

It will actually be interesting to see how the raid0 actually stacks up against the raptor in both performance and feel. Being as it's only a 74Gb one... the raid will probably easily outdo it, so be sure and put up some screenshots.

Back