• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6300 2.8ghz...only running at 2.26ghz???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heathcliff

Hi all. It's been many years since I built a computer so please bare with me.

I put together my new rig last night. It consists of:

Gigabyte GA-G41-ES2L Rev 1.0 BIOS F4
Intel E6300 2.8ghz 1066mhzFSB
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC8500 2x1gb

When I go into the BIOS my processor is showing 2.26ghz. I disabled the C1E, C2/C2E, and CPU EIST to eliminate any possible Speedstepping functionality. When I check the CPU Clock Ratio (multiplier) it shows 8 and the Fine CPU Clock Ratio is .5. So basically my multiplier is 8.5. My CPU Host Frequency shows 266mhz which I would imagine is correct since 1066/4 = 266. If I change the CPU Clock Ratio from 8.5 to 10.5, this gives me 2.8ghz for the processor speed. Also my memory frequency is showing as 800mhz, however, I thought since I bought the PC8500 it would run at 1,066mhz?

My question is, why must I manually change the CPU Clock Ratio to acquire the speed my processor is intended to run at? Is it a weird default setting that Gigabyte motherboards have from the factory?

Hopefully I supplied enough information without being bashed as a n00b. :chair:

Thanks for any help any of you can provide!

I would check for a bios update. I have the same CPU on an Asus board and had to run a bios update to have it run correctly. I am happy to say that I have it running at 4.05ghz and it never breaks 44 c. It's a solid chip for the sub $70 price. I think i paid $55 on sale on the egg :)

A bios update seems like a very likely solution to the improper default CPU multiplier.

PC2-8500 is not a standard memory speed, it is an overclocked speed. That means you will need to manually set the FSB:RAM divider (I think it's 4 based on your CPU & RAM), base timings, and DRAM voltage (probably +0.2v should work).

:welcome: to OCForums both you guys :)

Thanks for the suggestions, both of you.

I will update the BIOS and report back.

I also have no clue how to adjust the FSB:RAM divider so you may have to help me out with that one! :D

In order to run your RAM at it's rated 1066MHz at a default FSB of 266MHz, you'll need to manually change these settings...

Code:
DRAM Performance Control

(G)MCH Frequency Latch: [266]
System Memory Multiplier: [4.00A]
Memory Frequency (Mhz): [1066MHz]

And you might also want to manually change the four primary RAM timings to 5-5-5-15...

Code:
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual 
Standard Timing Control

CAS Latency Time: [5]
tRCD: [5]
tRP: [5]
tRAS: [15]

Last edited:
My question is, why must I manually change the CPU Clock Ratio to acquire the speed my processor is intended to run at? Is it a weird default setting that Gigabyte motherboards have from the factory?

A C2D E6300 runs at 1.86GHz stock, with a multiplier of 7. Did you mean E8300? E8300 is 2.83GHz stock, on a 333/1333MHz FSB, with a multiplier of 8.5.

EDIT: Pentium != C2D. Suggest stating the full names of CPUs...

Last edited:
Intel confused some with this E6300 naming. There are 2 of them, the old Conroe 65nm and the new. He has a NEW 45nm E6300, 2.8GHz.

Intel confused some with this E6300 naming. There are 2 of them, the old Conroe 65nm and the new. He has a NEW 45nm E6300, 2.8GHz.

Stating the full name would avoid that... Pentium E6300, as opposed to Core 2 Duo E6300.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, this is the new 45nm E6300.

I updated the BIOS and loaded the optimized settings. As you guys said, this fixed the problem!

Now I will mess with the memory settings and see if I can get the RAM to run at 1,066mhz.

Thanks!

Cool, glad you're making progress. Check back & let us know if you run into problems or if you get the RAM running at DDR1066.

Are you planning to overclock the Pentium E6300?

Back