• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 64bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welcome DP.

This is the most prolific folding setup I know of unless you want to go totally native Ubuntu and take on the extra large Work Units. Each extra large WU would take 2 days for your rig to fold, 24/7, but you'd earn about 60,000 points for each one (depending on your time).

Yes, the link to the regular smp folding, on the Linux kernel, with Win7 host OS:
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6061638&postcount=3

There are simpler clients to set up, but they earn 1/3rd fewer points.

Started this but I can't continue the process beyond step 6. A couple dumb questions
- how to scroll in the VMware Player window, a quick search in help did help me and the IP address (whatever is there) can't be seen in the default size window.
- did an ipconfig /all but the VM IP address a not standard for my system (192.168.1.NNN) and even thought I tried to access them via browser, nothing.

Suggestions?

There should be no need to scroll. The default VMware Player window is 25 lines and the ip address should be on line 16 or so when notfreds reaches the login line.

Bridge was setup.

I'm not home right now but think I remember that it's last few lines where when it was looking for DNS. It'll be several till I can get back to this so I'll send more info toward the end of the week. :chair:

After I start VMWare Player and select a folding effort to start (by clicking on folding.vmx), a significant amount of info flies by in the window (can't catch any of it) and it ends up with the following:

"
Freeing unused kernel memory: 544k freed
udhcpc (v1.13.2) started
e1000: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
No lease, forking to background
No hostname from DHCP, setting hostname to fold-9211

Waiting 10 seconds for any USB drives to start
wget: bad address 'www.stanford.edu'

Failed to download the client from Stanford's website:
Http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.02-Linux.tgz

Please double chech your Gateway and DNS information
Gateway:
awk: /etc/resolv.conf: No such file or directory
DNS servers:
"

That's it, ain't no more. :shrug:

OK, here we go:

1) What directory is VMPlayer in?

If you aren't in some sub-folder of the User's super folder, then Windows7 will stop your folding, anyway.

2) The install guide touched on this, but only lightly - if your firewall isn't told to allow VMPlayer and FAH to access the net, then you'll be stopped abruptly.

3) What version of VMPlayer are you using?

From your messages, VMPlayer is seeing your network adapter, but can't get out on it - suggesting a firewall blockage, or it's looking in the wrong place (Bridged when it should be NAT, or vice versa.)

My VMPlayers all had the same "...discover..." and "waiting for usb..." lines - that part is normal. What's goofed is that you don't get a DNS address.

Check your firewall and your folder, and is this computer hooked directly up to the net, or does it loop through another computer?

By user's superfolder do you mean the one in the main partition that is under "Users/myname"? It isn't, there.

Have turned off firewall and any app that might result in interference. Progress to point I can see the IP address shown in the instructions but can't use the browser as noted in step 6.

I'll move VMWare Player. Version is 3.o.o build-203739

What is the address you're seeing?

Reason I ask is you can get two addresses. One will be the NAT address of your rig (which you don't want), and the other will be the actual net address to get out.

The rig I'm on has the old VMPlayer, so let me get it squared away so we're on the same pew, with the same version of Player.

I'll be back. :)

Edit: Ok, I'm finally just about where you are.

Edit #2: I left it bridged, and was given 172.161.xxx Your numbers may be different, but they should be similar

My setup is computer >> router >> DSL line. Is yours system connected similarly?

Last edited:
OK, looks like I'm up and running. IPs happen to be 192.168.157 and 192.168.1.178 but doesn't really matter at this point. Yes, left it bridged also.

While it let me select only 2 processors as directed in the instructions, the log said it wanted 4 and shutdown the run. However I'm not sure I believe that it fully loaded the CPU (an i7 920) since the loads and temps didn't look like it was fully loaded with only one instance of folding running.

At this point, running with all security apps active on my machine (firewall etc.), however I believe I still have a problem with my router security so I'll have to work with that. My network setup is cable modem -> router -> home network (with computers, printer, etc).

Many thanks for the assistance. :bday: Happy holidays! :santa2:

Last edited:
Yes, you should have your VM net setup in bridged mode. My default setup with the same version and build, was 4 processors, and I had to reconfigure it to just 2 for this C2D I'm on, atm. :)

I've always had better luck if I start folding by starting the VMPlayer first, and then the virtual machine, by using the VMPlayer. When I double clicked on the virtual machine file to start the VMPlayer, it was not nearly as reliable.

Your task manager should show 50% cpu usage, since you'll use 4 smp cores, out of your 8 core total (if you have hyper-threaded mode enabled in the BIOS).

Glad you have things up and running! :)

Edit the .vmx file to change numvcpus = "4" to "8" and reconfigure notfreds to run one instance per 8 cores and you should see well over 9000 ppd.

Edit the .vmx file to change numvcpus = "4" to "8" and reconfigure notfreds to run one instance per 8 cores and you should see well over 9000 ppd.

Wow, that pegs the cores at 100% in task manager! :cool:

Any point in using more memory or making any other changes?

So you're now folding one extra large WU?

What project number is your WU, Deeppow? How much memory does Task manager report is now being used?

So you're now folding one extra large WU?

What project number is your WU, Deeppow? How much memory does Task manager report is now being used?

Project: 2669 (Run 0, Clone 157, Gen 192)

I selected the "big" option for packet size. Is that the biggest?

Total memory useage is setting around 2.76G. I left the Folding memory select to auto detect.

Deep,
Now that you've got it folding on 8 cores, and after you're completed 10 normal a2 WUs, it's time to dedicate more memory to the VM and fold -bigadv WUs. I've got one going on a i7 920 @ 3.8 (that's probably what you're going to find is the FAH max stable OC) and I'm producing 27,794 ppd in native Linux. You should get more, even in a VM, if your current OC holds up under the -bigadv pressure. You're going to have to ditch notfreds to run -bigadv. You also have to be able to dedicate about 4.2 GB of memory to the VM to avoid swapping (in native Linux the FAH + Ubuntu uses about 3.5 GB).

Last edited:
Here's what you have to do from where you are now.

1. reconfigure notfreds with the -oneunit flag.
2. create a new VM with Ubuntu 9.10 x64 desktop
3. install FAH in Linux per Sydney's guide. Ignore the 9.04 stuff as 9.10 is fastest version, unless you're also gpu folding in native Linux. Be sure to get and enter a passkey. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey
4. Edit the new .vmx file to add priority.ungrabbed = "idle" and change numvcpus to "8".
5. Download and drop in the -bigadv fah6 executable. http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10697 You don't even have to stop the client, but you will have to make the fah6 file executable.
6. Complete 10 normal A2 WUs.
7. During the 10th regular WU, stop the client and add -bigadv to the start up string. Personally I put it in the extra parameters of the FAH config.
8. Enjoy some really big points.

Edit: Configure memory in the -bigadv VM to 4200 MB.

Last edited:
Back