• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID driver reinstall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lemonhawk

I've swapped motherboards and now have a Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P and managed to do the swap without reinstalling windows. Now I want to set up Mirrored drives, so how can you install the RAID drivers without doing a new Win7 install? How can you tell if the windows install automatically loaded the RAID drivers? This board has 2 SATA controller, one on the 790 chip, the other a Gigabyte controller. Which is better? If you have RAID drivers installed, how do you set it for a non RAID disk? Keep in mind I do not want the hassel of a complete reinstall of Win7 Home Premium.

To answer my own question, YES. The RAID drivers are not in Win7. They can sort of easily be loaded to an existing install. You need a program such as Acronis to move the system around as SATA RAID set up will destroy whatever is on the drives in the RAID. So using Acronis I coloned a new disk - one not in the RAID mix, then into Device manager and uninstalled the existing driver "Microsoft iSCSI Initiator" and installed the RAID drivers that one normally needs to have on a Floppy or in case of Win7 a USB stick. When the system rebooted, I change the SATA ports from IDE sim to RAID or AHCI. The AHCI was the SATA port which had the disk clone I just made. Win7 comes up and restores itself because in notices the missing iSCSI driver and puts in and the RAID drivers in. Once this is working you can install the drives you want in RAID setup and set up the RAID LD in hte BIOS. When the system was rebooted I used Partition Wizard to set a partition in the RAID, then I could clone the non RAID disk on to the RAID setup (in my case I was mirroring). Thus I was able to install a new motherboard, CPU and set up a RAID all without reinstalling Win7. A lot of messing around and without Acronis and its ability to completely restore or clone your OS this would have been way to risky to try.

Back