• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Second Build (Last one 1.5 years ago) Looking for opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Same

Hi guys im looking for opinions on the hardware as well as how well this system would run and how future-proof it would be. Thanks

Intel Core i7 920 2.66ghz LGA 1336
Cooler Master V8 HSF
ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
6GB Triple Channnel DDR3 12800 Obsidian OCZ
OCZ 700W Modular PSU
Cooler Master 690 Case
eVGA GeForce GTX 275 869MB
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Switch out the V8 for something with some real potential. Try the Prolimatech Megahalems or TRUE. The Noctua U12P is also a good one.

That PSU isn't the best. Swap it for something from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, etc.

Other than that, looks good, although you may want to wait on the video card, or swap it for something from the HD5000 now, if you have the cash. The 5870s are becoming more available, so it's a good time to snag one.

1336 might be the most future-proof thing we've got at the moment, so good stuff there. If you're really into the idea of future-proof, you could go for one of the really new boards with SATA and USB 3. Gets pricey though.

Tricky spot right now on video cards, 5000 series may serve you better, or it might be a good time to wait (temporarily use your old video card? It's an option...) for the 300s. It also depends on your graphics needs though: monitor resolution, how much gaming do you actually do, do you demand high settings...

Downgrading with obviously reduce the future-proof aspect of the build, but the 920 may be much more than you need. Again this depends on what you'll use the rig for and your timeframe for your next rebuild.

On the note of a PSU I must say I absolutely love my Corsair HX750. I just have a sense of confidence in the juice being supplied to my components with such a reputable PSU.

Thanks for the replies.

I decided to get an eVGA card so I have the 90-day step up program for the 300s.

Back