• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clarion VZ309 head unit car stereo plays CDs, DVDs and USB sticks, HD tuner free

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Holy smokes, check this out:
Clarion VZ309 car stereo with DVD display and USB Port
2009 model going for $350 elsewhere... $129 with free shipping today (!)

But wait, there's more, if you add this Clarion THD309 HD Radio Tuner at the same time you're buying the head unit car stereo, it's free! Just get to the checkout page and you'll see $60 taken off so you only pay $129.... for both!!

This is an excellent deal, I've never seen anything like it, I would be surprised if it lasts.

Dripnazi's got the subs, but no headunit, so I showed him this. We'll see if he grabs it.

This thing's drawbacks are valid when spending $350 but at $129 with free HD radio? Fuggedabout it, this is a steaming hot deal, I got two.

I combined it with these two speakers for $39:
Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Silver)

I'm installing it as a gift for someone and if they're thinking they're getting a present worth more than half a grand - they'd be right! :)

HD Radio requires no subscription with that extra box by the way, it's completely free, for those that didn't know.

Last edited:
I have the standard radio in my deck, and it's one of those kinds where it's double the size of these small ones, so I can't :(

Double DIN? Use a plastic dapter or whatever else to fill the extra space.

Maybe.... If everything in my truck is stock though, will I notice a difference in sound quality? I'm driving an 08 Colorado if that helps

Maybe.... If everything in my truck is stock though, will I notice a difference in sound quality? I'm driving an 08 Colorado if that helps

probably not chevy puts some decent quality stock head units in their trucks specially their newer stuff. I got my stock 01 chevy HU with a $9.50 ebay axxess ipod to factory aux port hook up... with some 50 dollar pioneer speakers in the doors, sounds damn good.

Last edited:
Wow...it's that slow?

ordered this because I wanted something that looked nice and had a lot of features. I am very happy with the way it looks and the sharpness of the display. That's why it didn't get only 1 star. But what I am unhappy with is its ability to do anything (different display modes). It has a bright and colorful screen but you cant move where the time is or change the background color, image, or anything. What you see in the pictures is what you are stuck with.
The very first thing that I noticed was how slow it was. I could turn on my truck and start backing out of the driveway before it actually even starts up. I would say it takes a good 30-40sec to start up, and another 15sec to switch sources. Also unused sources such as AUX or Line In always show up, so you have to push the button multiple times to go back an forth between CD and Radio.
Like all Mp3 playing it's hard to navigate. I assumed it was going to have more views of folders and such vs. a GIANT list of all the MP3s (only displays 3 at a time). It will pop or screech when changing tracks. I have a few thousand songs and the random function seems to play the same artists repeatedly.
Worst of all, if you are watching a DVD (great sound and picture) and then cut the power to it, the next time you turn it on it starts back up where it was shut down, but it is stuck in that chapter of the DVD. Meaning it will just loop continuously VERY frustrating.
I cant recommend this unit to anyone.

Getting a slow old school Celeron desktop is still old and slow, no matter what you paid for it.

The first review lists all the negs in detail. Everyone agrees it's "slow" but they put it in the 3-5 second range not the 40 second range that one guy did.

I would be upset if I paid anything more for this unit but every reviewer who paid $129 for *both* the HD tuner and the head unit lists all the negs and ends their review with the fact that the price stands up to all the negatives because this is not a regular radio CD player.

It's for people who are in the market for a remote controlled car DVD player which also plays free HD radio and mp3's off USB sticks...

Actually this is a $119 deal not a $129 deal because you get $10 credited back after refusing the Wired Magazine free subscription.

So for $119 out of pocket, no shipping, no tax, I'll let it take its time switching sources. :) This is best, like in my case, as a gift for someone who has blown speakers and factory radio which skips or doesn't read any CDs. It'll be a gift from heaven to them ;)

It's for people who are in the market for a remote controlled car DVD player which also plays free HD radio and mp3's off USB sticks...

Hmm. Basically, my current radio unit doesn't let me play anything from an 3.5mm jack, a USB, or any other form of input aside from CD and radio. I wonder if this would be good for me, if I want to listen to music off of my MP3 player.

My current radio unit has big buttons, which I like; it makes navigation a snap. However, with most aftermarket ones (including this one) the buttons appear pretty small, which I wouldn't like.

I don't know. On one hand, I really want this fancy set. On the other, I like my current big buttons. Plus my current display tells me the names of songs on the radio - I wonder if this one does that. I love that feature :)

Like pointed out before, this isn't really for people who have an OK thing going to start with, this is for people who either have probs with their current setups or wish to get a decent DVD player, mp3 player and HD radio going on the cheap.

I do not have HD radio yet but I understand it does display the names of the songs. I can tell you that non-HD units, like the one I have now do not and I missed that feature which my factory radio used to have.

But the HD box that comes free only works with this Clarion unit. I would *love* to take the box and mod it to work with my JVC double din so I can get the feature you speak of.

I don't know if/how it can be modded but that would be so sweet if it could.

Your question reminds of the fact that I've never opened up my computer case without screwing something up :) so I spend a lot of time when I open it up, fixing it. :) So you would have to live with many super-annoyances which this unit has which are unacceptable to us seasoned users both barely noticeable to the inexperienced with their AM car radios so to speak.

EDIT: Read the good and the bad, the entire review lists the good as well as the bad so you can decide if paying only $119 out of pocket is a good deal for:
Code:
 Source   Amazon.com user review

Receiver is good ONLY if you buy at Amazon's low low price!!!!, December 8, 2009
By "sportura"

To put it politely, I have been disappointed by the performance and feature set of this receiver. In fact, I thought it was so bad that this couldn't have been a product developed by Clarion. I think this is a re-badged Clarion which was designed/engineered by a low-tier manufacturer. The fact that the HD Tuner that works with this receiver doesn't work with any other seems to point in that direction too. But this is a review, so I will be specific about it.

Usually, people write the positives and negatives when writing a review. I will do the same. So, here's what I like about it:

1. Looks: It is a handsome looking deck. I am not a fan of the flashing LEDs and rotating colors. This has very minimalistic and simplistic, OEM type design that complements the rest of the dash.

2. Build quality is great. Definitely does not look like a made in China item that you can buy at an auto parts store.

3. Nice, large screen - crisp and clear.

4. Sounds is good, although nothing earth-shattering for a 200W amp.

5. HD Tuner works well, get stations fast and clear.

Now, before I list the things I don't like about it, let me explain something. A lot of people will mention a LACK OF FEATURE as a negative. I kind of find it unfair. I mean, before you buy something, you should know what features it has or doesn't have. For example, this receiver doesn't have Bluetooth. Now, it will be unfair for me to say this is a bad receiver because of that.

On the other hand, things that are wrong with it, or designs that are inconvenient can be fairly mentioned in the list of CONS. So, I will start with it:

1. If you start your car before you attach the faceplate, the receiver will remain turned off. You have to press the power button to turn in on - every time. With most receivers, if you turned off your receiver before you remove your car keys, it will remain off until you turn in on manually. Same way, if you left your receiver turned ON, and turned the car off (remove keys), it will come on automatically next time you turn on ignition and put the faceplate. This doesn't do that. Very inconvenient.

2. The "power"/ON button is not lit when the unit is off. So, coupled with the issue #1, it is a major inconvenience at night. You come in, start the car, put the faceplate back on - and nothing. Now you will have to blindly look for the power button to turn it on.

3. If there is a CD/DVD in the drive, it will always start in the CD/DVD source, regardless of last source you were listening to when it was turned off.

4. USB slot is also not lit, so, inserting a USB drive at night takes a few tries.

5. Most of the buttons have more than one functions. One function is printed right on the button, the other function for the same button is printed right below it. However, ONLY the button is lit, not the print below it. For example, the power button also acts as the mute button. But when the receiver is on, only the power symbol is lit, not "MUTE" which is written right below it. It is true for all buttons with more than one functions.

6. The dreaded DVD-loop issue. If you switched to a different source or turned the unit off while playing a DVD, next time it will only loop in the chapter it was last playing. Definitely a bad programming issue.

7. If you "mute" the unit while playing a CD or songs from USB, the mute will be automatically canceled and sound will come back on after the next song comes on. Really annoying - specially if you are on the phone with someone and suddenly the music comes on. I know this is not meant to be or that it is not a feature because the mute symbol stays on the display, even though the sound is heard. Again, bad programming.

8. The faceplate anchor design is merit-less at best. It has two plastic anchors sticking out from the unit where the faceplate latches on. These are plastic anchors about 1" long and they are just sticking out. If one of the breaks, the whole unit is useless. I will post a pic to show what I mean.

9. Absolutely no display customization. What comes with is what you get - and what comes with it is nothing. You can't change the display color/wallpaper/font/size - nothing.

10. USB operation is ridiculous at best. It shows all the songs in one list and the only way to navigate through them without the remote is to go up and down, which is painfully slow. You can go folder to folder using the remote. With the "UP" and "DOWN" symbols being not lit, it's inconvenient at night.

11. If your mp3 folders have a pic such as an album art, this unit will get stuck at that, and it will ask you to put the parking brake on to view it - instead of just not showing the pic and moving on to the next song. If you have a lot of albums, you will need to manually remove all the album arts from the USB drive.

12. In the USB mode, it "eats" about 1 sec from the beginning of a song when it moves starts the next track. It's not as noticeable with the songs that start slow, but clearly annoying when a song starts out loud or with a beat, for example, Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. Don't know if this applies to CD tracks too.

13. It will recognize only 512 songs total in your USB drive. Now-a-days people have their whole music collection on a single chip. 512 songs limitation sets you back to 1999.

14. A lot of the DVD operations can only be performed using the remote. There are buttons on the faceplate that are inactive during DVD play which they could have easily put some functions on.

15. It is not compatible with all USB drives. I don't know which ones are okay but I have a USB drive that works fine everywhere but this gives me an error saying "UBS Bad".

16. No dedicated button for "search", meaning fast forward or reverse. So, if you want to FF a song or DVD chapter, you will have to press and hold ">>|" for about 5 secs and then it will do it only at 2x speed. Do the same again (another 5 secs) to go 4x. If you let go before that, it will just skip to the next song or chapter - and you will have to do it again.

17. The internal clock loses time like crazy!! It would be half to a minute behind in just a week.

18. No permanent brightness setting for the screen. All you have is Normal -> Dim -> Off, using the Dim button. You can't set the brightness to your liking. To make matter worse, the setting using "Dim" button is temporary. Once the unit is re-started (turn off/turn on), it goes to full brightness.

19. Finally, THIS UNIT IS SLOW!!! Navigating through songs or tuning stations, skipping songs, switching sources - much slower than even the cheapest receivers out there.

Now, some of things that I would have love to see and I could expect in a $400 receiver:

1. This unit should have been AT LEAST bluetooth ready.

2. It has this huge, rotary volume knob which is also used for Bass/Treble settings by pushing it. I think this would have been more useful is this was programmed to be used as "Enter" button, and putting the "Bass/Treble" settings in the settings menu. Now, the "AS" button acts as enter which is not even lit.

3. When the ignition is on and the faceplate is not on, there is a little triangle blue LED that flashes to show where to enter CD/DVD. I wish this LED would blink all the time so it would act as a theft deterrent.

4. When you enter the "Settings" menu where you can change equalizer/loudness etc, the music stops. So, you have no way to instantly compare the effect of different EQ or loudness settings. Wish the music didn't stop.

5. The faceplate carry-case/box is CHEAP!!! They should have included a little better case.

Like the title says, the only thing that makes things even is the ultra-low pricing of Amazon, which sometimes even include a free HD tuner. Otherwise, for more price I would suggest getting something else.

I am still kinda thinking on this. I still have the stock headunit in my 2003 buick century, and it is getting annoying not having even mp3 support. I also do listen to the radio A LOT, mainly because I like hearing what is new and upcoming. Much to think on, especially at this price.

Choose not to get it or choose to get it, I think it's still in stock because a lot of hot deal sites out there have this as a T-Giving deal which sold out quick.

I found it being alive by accident myself and once those threads get updated as this being alive again, I think they'll sell out then.

Here's how to get $10 back to make this a $119 deal:

Attachments

• Refund$10.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 183
Back