• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing with stock voltage / All features on.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Attomsk

Registered
So I decided to start playing around with how high I could push my processor with all the "optimized defaults" set on the board.

So I loaded optimized defaults and changed my Bclk to 150. I passed 20 runs of Linx with the processor @3.3ghz & 1.2v Vcore

I then passed it only running 1 thread, and 2 threads to test how it runs with turbo on 25x multiplier and it handled that just fine.

However, I noticed when the processor went back to idle after the tests, the multiplier dropped to 9x as expected but the voltage was sitting at 1.28. Usually it gets throttled down pretty low @ stock bclck (something like 0.8v at 9x multiplier).

Is that odd or to be expected?

Gonna try to push the bclck higher.. see how far this processor/mobo can go with all of their features enabled.

This is how i started my OC career, largely because my mobo didn't allow adjusting the vcore :p
e5200 hit 3250 with stock volts, but no higher.

This is how i started my OC career, largely because my mobo didn't allow adjusting the vcore :p
e5200 hit 3250 with stock volts, but no higher.

It is fun! I'm trying to find a 24/7 OC for me since I don't feel like running my 3.8GHZ overclock 24/7. I don't really need it @ 3.8ghz 24.7... lol

My end result for 24/7 was 2.53ghz (oooo 30mhz over stock!) but with 340ish fsb instead of 200, far, far more memory bandwidth, and 1.0vcore in cpuz rather then 1.2 (1.06 and 1.225 in bios respectively).
Makes for less power consumption, and i can turn my fans all the way down (or off, in the case of the cpu HSF fan) for a nice quiet box.
Course during contest time it's what's in my sig.

My end result for 24/7 was 2.53ghz (oooo 30mhz over stock!) but with 340ish fsb instead of 200, far, far more memory bandwidth, and 1.0vcore in cpuz rather then 1.2 (1.06 and 1.225 in bios respectively).
Makes for less power consumption, and i can turn my fans all the way down (or off, in the case of the cpu HSF fan) for a nice quiet box.
Course during contest time it's what's in my sig.

Very nice! I am still wondering why my Vcore stays so high when the multiplier drops to 9x. Normally, the voltage will drop accordingly.

Some boards only drop vcore if it's set to AUTO. You might try auto vcore and see if it drops the vcore at idle. Of course it probably cranks it up to the moon with the bclk.

I found that on my e1200 when i padmodded it the vcore does it's normal thing (though .1 higher, heh) dropping way down at idle despite the 66% oc.
I'm glad the cpu still functions on 333fsb (200 stock) with that low of a voltage!
It doesn't turn out that useful in that cpu's case because it's a 24/7 member of my folding farm :D

Yes, sorry I didn't state in my original post that I actually have all the voltages on auto. However, it usually doesn't go above 1.2V on auto, which it doesn't when at full load - but when it drops the multiplier down to 9 it goes up to 1.28V. I guess it isn't really a big problem I just thought it was odd!

Sounds like vdroop, load sucks down more power which drops the vcore slightly.

That part is definitely vdroop - I wonder why my board decides it needs 1.28V when at 1350Mhz idle when stock it drops that voltage to 0.85V @ 1200mhz

The P55 chipset won't lower the voltage on AUTO voltage. You have to use the offset dynamic voltage option.

Back