• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

possible to copy workunits on other computers ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

riscracer

Registered
I got 3 Systems without any online access. Is it possible to install Seti on these systems and copy workunits from my main system's seti folder to the other systems via LAN ?
If yes, which files do I have to copy ?
Thx for help,
Riscracer

I use SETI-GATE, and "exporting" workunits from one machine and "importing" them to another is fairly easy. If you use SETIdriver, then someone else is going to need to help you. Give a shout if you want more info on SETIgate.

Seeing you have a LAN. Install a proxy on the main computer and it'll share the IP. Then you can config SetiSpy and SetiDriver to use a proxy and retirieve WU's automatically.

installing proxy wouldn't help, because the others system are not standing at my home, but the main system does. Transporting the units via LAN I meant to copy them via LAN to a notebook and thereafter copy them from the Notebook to the other systems.

As mentioned, if it would be easy using SETI-GATE while I normally use Seti Driver&Spy, is it possible to use SETI-GATE besides it ?

Using Seti Spy&Driver I guess simple copying the cache folders named "1","2", etc. wouldn't do it, because the other systems would do the same workunits as my main system does. Which files do I have to copy to bring the workunits to the other systems ?

did u try to copy the "whole" seti folder from the machine that doesn't have any net access? paste it into the main machine BUT "rename" it. run Driver from the "renamed" seti folder (the folder copied from ur other mahcine), and upload/download. copy back to ur other machine after finished up/down load......

just my idea.....i could be wrong......:rolleyes:

Its easy: on the pc that is connected, start Separate folders named seti1, seti2, etc. Put copies of the client software (SetiDriver, spy, and the clc) in each.

Then, one at a time start and configure each folder: after the cache is filled, shut the client software (SetiSpy or driver) down and do the next one; copy the whole folder to the "transport" pc and then copy back onto the destination machines. when wus are done, go back the other way and upload/refill the cache.

This is pretty much what I do when I rebuild rigs here:)

I tried it by copying the Seti folder and rename it. This folder I transfered to the other systems by notebook transport. It worked perfectly without any problems accuring. Now the other systems got enough fodder for a whole week.
Thx for your help.

LandShark said:
yeah, that's what i thought too.

big i just wondering how "much" WUs can a floppy hold?? included CLC, Spy, Driver, + WUsss....:rolleyes:

I don't trhink you could have more than 1 WU running in a floppy with SETIDriver, SETISpy and the clc. Each WU is about 348 kB, and you have one in the root and the other one in the folder. That's 696 kB (add about 2 kB for each of these: outfile.sah, pid.sah, results_header.sah, user_info.sah and state.sah) so in grand total you have 706 kB plus SETISpy (393 kB), SETIDriver (260 kB) and clc (188 kB). Grand total 1,547 kB.....that's too much for a floppy.....And I haven't added the *.cfg of SETISpy and SETIDriver, and the log files of both of them.....

I think the wisest solution will be to ony have WU inside a floppy. Unzipped you can have 3 or 4.....using a compacter you can squezze a 6 or 7.....:)

Good point on floppy sizes.

Its too easy with networked laptops, or in a pinch a 32mb Compact Fash card and adapter.:D

Guess I'm spoiled.

Yep, you are a spoilled geek!!!!!

BTW, I've got a card reader header in the DVD266.....anyone knows wo makes card reader that can be plugged there?

Back