• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this the normal limit for stable OC with Core i7 920 (4.2ghz)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Same

What do you think?

Any higher and OCCT will say its unstable

This is with:
DDR3-1600 OCZ Obsidian 6GB
and
Asus P6T X58 LGA1336

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 180
Xbit Labs did an O/C review with the Asus p6T, that asserted the 920 was generally able to get to 3.8GHz with very little or no voltage adjustment needed.

With voltage adjustments (and of course, a very good air cooler), they claimed 4.0 was the maximum stable speed they could reach.

They preferred prime95 fft's and blend mode for stability testing. I have heard that OCCT is more of a memory test, and doesn't stress the cpu as well as prime95. Since the i7 has a built in memory controller, it can do better on memory type tests. That is it's strong point.

From my experience, do some folding for Folding @ Home (on our team, of course :) ), and you'll have an EXCELLENT stability test.

I've never had a FAH stable OC that wasn't equally stable for all the rest of my every day stuff (games/etc.). FAH is nicer about dubious OCs then P95 is.

Back