• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox 3.7 Alpha with Direct 2d rendering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

conway

Has anyone used this? It's INSANELY fast. It's not included in the nightly builds yet, but one of the guys from Mozilla posted his custom 3.7a1pre build with it enabled, and after trying it I actually said wow out loud. It's definitely an Alpha build and crashes on some sites, like the Sunspider benchmark for instance, but it's worth a look. The upcoming IE9 is supposed to incorporate similar rendering architecture.

Here's the guy's blog page: http://www.basschouten.com/blog1.php/2009/11/22/direct2d-hardware-rendering-a-browser

And a link to the download: http://www.bassified.nl/firefox-3.7a1pre.en-US.win32.d2d.2009.12.13.zip

Last edited:
Hit up a bunch of sites ... didn't really notice it being any faster than FF 3.5.5. Maybe I'm missing something ... really tired ... maybe that's it.

I noticed it more on the desktop in my sig. On my Dell m1530 laptop not as much.

So all images/text are rendered with the GPU now?

I'd like to see a CPU utilization and load time comparison of image/text heavy sites.

Sunspider doesn't crash for me.

Last edited:
So all images/text are rendered with the GPU now?

I'd like to see a CPU utilization and load time comparison of image/text heavy sites.

Sunspider doesn't crash for me.

Really? It crashed on both my pcs. You were running the executable from within the zip file right(sorry)?

Tried this right now. I admit, I was not expecting much. But loaded up a bunch of sites that usually lag for me (youtube, pandora), and I must say, I am genuinely impressed. It is very, very fast :O

Appears to be stable for me..
(ATi card)

Tried this right now. I admit, I was not expecting much. But loaded up a bunch of sites that usually lag for me (youtube, pandora), and I must say, I am genuinely impressed. It is very, very fast :O

Appears to be stable for me..
(ATi card)

Well at least someone else saw results. :-/ I personally tried it on all my normal sites and had never seen them load so fast. They literally snapped into place.

The guy posted a new build yesterday btw. He's saying they will probably have this feature in the 3.7 nightlies within a couple of weeks. :D

Well I tried it. Not much difference besides the text looks different.

Supposedly you need either Windows 7 or the "Vista platform update", won't run on XP because it requires DX 10. Not sure if you fall into either of those categories, but without them you're guaranteed to see no difference from a standard 3.7 nightly build.

Back