• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did intel drop the ball?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did intel drop the ball?

I think it's pure arrogance.

Henry Kingman said:
"I Closed drivers? Who cares!" he wrote. "Not only is there no significant penalty for closed drivers in the device world, sometimes, they work out better. There's a business advantage, in terms of vendor lock-in. If I'm a chip maker, my customer has to come back to me for a new driver or source-level license (with non-disclosure agreement) when they begin working on a new product model, or a firmware upgrade."

I find that attitude disgusting, period.

There is a lot of negativity in that article.

Just because Intel is hoping that people just forget about the GMA500 doesn't mean that it shuns or Linux, or Moblin will fail.

I'm not saying that it doesn't suck, but who ever was speaking out about vendor lock ins was silenced, and the blog post taken off of Intel's site.

A lot of Intel's other integrated graphics hardware is extremely well supported on Linux, and its open source drivers are maintained directly by Intel. Some of the most important improvements to Xorg and the kernel graphics stack in recent history have been funded by Intel and implemented by the incredibly smart people that Intel employs to make Xorg work.

right but what do you about people with devices using GMA500? how is it far to leave them out? that would be like amd or nv saying that low end products would no longer be supported in drivers anymore. while the video chipset used in the GMA500 isnt intels' design, it is in their chipset. by those accounts they should be supporting/updating the driver for that product. this is by far pushing some in the linux world. that want to use a Atom setup to the NV based Atoms.

I'm not saying what they are doing is acceptable by any means, I'm just pointing out that one product failure isn't the doom of a company.

However, if any Linux users have GMA500 powered netbooks, the best option would be to get off the ship before it sinks any lower. Apparently, open source drivers for this part are a touchy issue for Intel.

Back