• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling choices! What to get for my i5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wickedout

Currently I'm using the AC freezer rev. 7 going! It's decent but I want something thats bad *** and under $90 including tax and shipping along with a good tube of TIM.

This is where I find myself stuck. I'm so lost looking at different heatsinks!

What are some of you using and do you like your choice? Thanks again for your assistance and time. :)

This is what I have on my plate:

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B CPU Cooler
Thermalright TR-FDB-2000 Stealth Silent 120mm Fan (80 CFM, 38 dBA)
Arctic Cooling MX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - 4 Gram

Is this a good call? The cost is $93 including shipping and everything else.

well, i dont own them, so i cant say perfectly, but i too have been on the hunt, and ive researched a lot, and the prolimatech comes out on top on many benchmark reviews. the true also does this, they run a tight race, but i have heard that trues dont always eat properly on the procesor. of course, this is all third hand info.
for me personally, im getting the same temps reviewed with my current hacked block of middle quality....and liquid cooling wont add enough cooling to justify the cost, so im waiting to use the ocz cryo z before i upgrade

Megahalems are regarded as one of the top-notch coolers. However, the difference between the top tier and $40 coolers is probably only 1-2 degrees at most so you can probably save some $.

As for the fan, 38dBA is a bit loud for my taste. As long as you're fine with that noise, it should be a good fan. Medium speed Yate Loons are very popular and cheap ($4) as well. I'm a fan of the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F myself.

Good call on the MX-2.

Megahalems is good but you might want to wait a few weeks to see some quality reviews on the Noctua NH-C12P SE14 new heatsync...it shows some major promise over TRUE and Megahalems.

Personally the cooling I've been using has been very quiet and keeps temps in the upper 40's to lower 50's during load @4GHZ.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on the Prolimatech. I placed my order. I had the HD50 and the Noctua D14 on the plate. The Meaghalems pulled away ftw.

I know I'm gonna be happy with the Prolimatech. It gets great reviews and I don't want any regrets. Thanks for the input guys!

same exact post on other forums, glad you joined the megahalem group :)

You'll be happy with the Megahalems. Excellent mounting system, excellent fan clips, and an excellent air cooler to boot. I've owned numerous heatsinks over the years and this is easily among the top two or three.

Woo hoo! My order shipped out today. Way to go Heaksink Factory.

This is one of those Xmas gifts to me, from me! Lol!

Just read this at Prolimatech's website

Lapping Warning!

Prolimatech does not condone any type of lapping done to the CPU or to heatsink base. Every Prolimatech's heatsink base is designed on a pin-point scale of how the base is to be flat and/or curved where it's needed to be. We have programed our machines to machine the surface in a very calculated way. Any after-manufacture lapping or modding done to the base will alter the design, hence negating its performance factor as well as its warranty.

I guess I won't have to lap it according to this. I'm just gonna throw it on and roll with it.

Lapping Warning!

Prolimatech does not condone any type of lapping done to the CPU or to heatsink base. Every Prolimatech's heatsink base is designed on a pin-point scale of how the base is to be flat and/or curved where it's needed to be. We have programed our machines to machine the surface in a very calculated way. Any after-manufacture lapping or modding done to the base will alter the design, hence negating its performance factor as well as its warranty.

I guess I won't have to lap it according to this. I'm just gonna throw it on and roll with it.

I never lap my heatsinks. Too much hassle to get the temps down by at most 2 degrees. Not worth it IMHO.

I got 4*c by lapping my OEM intel sink :D

That's still not very much though.

is it just me, or does the Megahalems look like a transformers robot from the top?
i'm interested in what the new Noctua heatsink can do.

The Prolimatech Meaghalems is up and running great.

Here's a screen shot of it!

Attachments

• MyBeast.jpg
    MyBeast.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 948
No bad things have happened yet. I had a piece of paper under the board. The board is fine!

My little Meaghalems in action!

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm really happy I picked up this cooler. It works as advertised and more. I have good temps being clocked in at 3.9ghz. Here's a screen shot to prove it! Thanks again and Happy Holidays everyone!

Attachments

• Prolimatech@ 3.9ghz.png
    Prolimatech@ 3.9ghz.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 524
  • DSC01212 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01212 (Medium).JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 537
Back