• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

werid ubuntu error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dillinja666

Im trying to install ubuntu on a virtual machine in windows 7. When I go to do the updates for 9.04 I get the message : The upgrade needs a total of 530m of free space on disk '/'. Please free at lease an additional 81.1m of disk space on '/'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'. Well ive allocated 5gigs of space and tried putting up to 20 gigs of space for the virtual machine but I still get this error. What am I doing wrong on the setup? also when I try to run 'sudo apt-get clean' i get a command not found error...so ya. help?

Give it at least 10, My install with current upgrades and maybe 2gigs of movies is 8.7Gb. (i'm using Mint8 but it should be close enough)
Which VM program are you using?

Debian packages are standard Unix ar archives that include two gzipped, bzipped or lzmaed tar archives: one that holds the control information and another that contains the data. As such they are compressed, not only do you require the installation space for the data but you require enough space to download and uncompress them.
The issue you are experiencing is often due to temporary packages used for installations filling up your file system or a lack of space.

Have you tried giving it the 81.1 m the system is requesting?

YA ive given the system up to 20 gigs of space.. I first started with 5 gigs of space and then worked my way up to 20 5 gigs at a time and still get the same error. Im useing VMware.

So I think the Vmware is not allocating more of the 25 gigs to the linux drive. Like it says it has a 1.07 gig swap file but thats it..maybe there is some wayto allocate more space. I tried searching around but I cannot find the setting for that.

when on the ubuntu vm, post the output of 'df -h' or 'sudo df -h' if the command is said to not be found. it sounds like you expanded the size of the drive for the vm but maybe the vm isn't recognizing the extra space allocated.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 495M 2.7M 492M 1% /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/volatile
tmpfs 495M 2.7M 492M 1% /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/volatile
tmpfs 495M 0 495M 0% /lib/init/rw
varrun 495M 104K 495M 1% /var/run
varlock 495M 0 495M 0% /var/lock
udev 495M 144K 495M 1% /dev
tmpfs 495M 580K 494M 1% /dev/shm
rootfs 495M 47M 448M 10% /
/dev/sr1 697M 697M 0 100% /cdrom
/dev/loop0 674M 674M 0 100% /rofs
tmpfs 495M 16K 495M 1% /tmp
/dev/sr0 13M 13M 0 100% /media/CDROM

ah well this would be your problem:

Code:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 495M 47M 448M 10% /

I am guessing that you may be running from a livecd version of ubuntu. you need to actually install it to the virtual hard drive. if I remember, there should be an install link on the desktop.

in case I am not correct about running from a livecd, you only have 448M available on your root filesystem. I am not certain but you may need to download a gparted iso and boot from that in the VM to expand your root partition. I haven't tried to expand a filesystem myself in vmware.

yep that was the problem! ill tell the guys doing the folding walkthrough that they missed a step for new users!

Back